Midwest Horse Forum > Midwest Horse Talk > The Corral > 60 dead horses found on farm in Pleasant Prairie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Mstar

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default 60 dead horses found on farm in Pleasant Prairie

Listed on Google Maps as Hidden Lake Stables. Horrifying (

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/206659021.html?lc=Smart

PLEASANT PRAIRIE - After a search of a property where five horses were initially found dead, police said they have now located the bodies of 55 horses, 12 goats and two cows in two separate grave sites on the property.

"On April 9, 2013, the Pleasant Prairie Police Department executed a search warrant in response to an anonymous tip at a farm located at 1808 128th Avenue in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin," the Pleasant Prairie Police Department said. "Five dead horses were discovered in stalls during a search of a barn, and partially buried horse remains were also found on the property. Local authorities removed numerous live horses, which are currently sheltered with local rescue groups who are providing daily care for the animals."

Tests showed starvation was a factor in the deaths. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) found the grave sites and is helping with the exams of the dead animals.

"The house on the property was deemed to be uninhabitable by the Kenosha County Health Department, and an abatement order was issued for the reclamation of property," said police.

Several other animals were removed from the property including various types of fowl, sheep, goats and a bull. The animals are now being cared for and sheltered by local rescue groups.

Police ask anyone with information on this situation to contact the Pleasant Prairie Police Department at 262.694.7353 or Kenosha Area Crime Stoppers at 262.656.7333.

To ride a horse is to ride the sky. ~Author Unknown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
ryta

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Has anything noted the name of the owner? This sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if that is because of barn names sounding similar.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
ryta

Now realizing this is all part of the story from April. The picture with the recent story makes one realize how big the location actually is.

http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/police_investigate_report_of_horse_mistreatment_47 0978035.html

Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
2horseygirls

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Paula and David White are the current owners and defendants in this case; years ago, it was owned by the Bonofiglio family, and was known as Paradise Miniatures (if that helps place it.)

I actually reposted a lot of the "goin' to court" advice today that was shared for Hoss & Mel's situation a few years back, as it seems the WI media is following this story closely, and there seem to be many supporters that intend to appear in court.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
arablvr31

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The Farm is known as Hidden Lake stables and the lady that ran the place is way more than crazy. The farm is located about 1/3 of a mile West of Sheridan Rd on Russell Rd, literally on the WI/IL border. I know I was warned away from the place when I first moved up here 13 years ago. I've never been on the property, but I did call the police (Pleasant Prairie, then county) about seeing skinny horses from the road and was advised to call the humane society, who I called. I never heard back if they investigated. That was about 5 or 6 years ago. The horses I saw outside last year didn't look too bad, but it was the middle of summer and they were on grass, before the drought got too bad. None were out all winter, or if they were, they weren't visible from the road. I don't drive that way very often, maybe a couple times a month.

Rumor has it that the lady was a horder and the house was packed to the ceilings with stuff, including skulls of some of her favorite horses that died. I heard that years ago from someone reliable, that had actually been to the farm to see about boarding.

I know that boarders from that barn (kids in the 10 - 14 year old range) were sent home from 4H horse shows because their horses were too skinny. I was talking to the 4H assistants at the time and asked if they followed up to try to get the kids educated, but she didn't know. It was about that time that I called the authorities. I sure wish the problem had been taken up a long time ago and so many horses had to die for the problem to be brought to light.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Mstar

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

After 60 dead horses found, investigators warn it could get much worse
PLEASANT PRAIRIE - A horrific case of animal abuse gets worse. Sixty dead horses found on a farm and investigators fear there may be even more.

They suspect it could be one of the worst cases of horse abuse, ever. Many of the dead horses are buried in a mass grave in Kenosha County.

Police don’t know why so many animals are buried at the Pleasant Prairie farm on Russell Road.

Video from Chopper 4 shows investigators doing a lot of digging, bones are scattered everywhere.

They suspect some of the horses died within the last six months, but tests are being done to determine cause of death.

Pleasant Prairie's Deputy Chief David Mogensen talked with TODAY'S TMJ4 Reporter Charles Benson about the investigation. He said he does not believe they have found all the animals yet.

Investigators were first called to the farm in Apr. 23. Horses, some malnourished, were rescued.

At that time five dead horses were found in their stalls. Tests show starvation contributed to their deaths.

The owners, Paula and David White, were arrested and charged with animal mistreatment.

"It's very scary," said neighbor Lisa Candelaria. She lives across the street and snapped photos of the raid and arrest last month. "We knew they had some dead horses over there but to find so many to that extent, it’s very disturbing."

In addition to the dead animals the farm house has a number of code violations, so no one is living there right now. But investigators have a lot of questions.

"We don’t know why there's that many carcasses buried back there," said Mogensen. "Was that a business? Was that animals that just died off? Was there criminal conduct that caused them to die?"

We tried to reach the homeowners for comment but their number has been disconnected.

Police say they did get complaints about the farm in the past but they never had enough evidence to execute a search warrant until April.

To ride a horse is to ride the sky. ~Author Unknown

Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
ryta

Quote:
Originally Posted by arablvr31 View Post
The Rumor has it that the lady was a horder and the house was packed to the ceilings with stuff, including skulls of some of her favorite horses that died..
Alrighty.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
2horseygirls

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
"We don’t know why there's that many carcasses buried back there," said Mogensen. "Was that a business? Was that animals that just died off? Was there criminal conduct that caused them to die?"

Bone marrow fat content analysis on all the skeletal remains should answer that question right quick!

I hope SOMEONE from ASPCA, UW-Madison, or UI-Champaign, **someone** explains that unless you are running a massive operation, or a retirement sanctuary, a mass grave with 55 carcasses is a wee bit excessive.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
2horseygirls

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They were in court yesterday

http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/village_seeks_ownership_of_animals_seized_from_far m_471499764.html

Village seeks ownership of animals seized from farm

BY DENEEN SMITHdsmith@kenoshanews.com

David White and Paula Moctezuma-White appear in intake court on Tuesday afternoon. The village of Pleasant Prairie is seeking to take ownership of the live animals found on their farm so the animals can be adopted. ( KENOSHA NEWS PHOTO BY SEAN KRAJACIC )

Pleasant Prairie is seeking a court order to give the village ownership of animals seized from a couple accused of starving horses to death.

Paula Moctezuma and David White made a brief appearance before a court commissioner Tuesday, where they were given additional time to find an attorney. Both told Court Commissioner Jon Mason they have been unable to find a lawyer to represent them.

Mason rescheduled their hearing to May 23 to give them additional time. If they have not found an attorney by then, he said, proceedings will move forward.

Moctezuma, 62, and White, 59, are charged with mistreatment of animals causing death. Pleasant Prairie Police searched the couple's farm April 9, responding to complaints of animal mistreatment, and found five dead horses, along with 23 horses who appeared to have been neglected. In a subsequent search, authorities found the remains of 55 additional dead horses, 12 dead goats and two dead cows.

Authorities also seized additional animals, including sheep, goats, turkeys, chickens, geese, a peacock, rabbits and a bull.

As the criminal case moves forward, the village is seeking a court order to sever the couple's ties to the animals.

"We are attempting to petition the court to have the ownership of the animals transferred to the village so we can start adopting them out," said Pleasant Prairie Police Chief David Smetana.

For now, Smetana said, the village is covering the cost of care for the animals. Donations to Clawz and Pawz animal control and rescue, which is caring for most of the animals, is offsetting some of those costs, he said.

Melissa Melby of Clawz and Pawz said the horses seized from the farm include 16 ponies, three miniature horses, three draft horses and a Tennessee Walking Horse. [and a Clyde]

Smetana said, "We have no idea whether the order is going to be contested or whether the Whites" will relinquish ownership. They are scheduled to appear in court on this ownership issue June 6, he said.

People interested in donating toward the animals’ care, or volunteering to aid in their care, can contact Clawz and Pawz through the website www.clawzandpawz.info.

Last edited by 2horseygirls; 05-15-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply