You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Midwest-Horse.com    
Midwest Horse Forum > Midwest Horse Talk > The Carrot Stick >

Hackamore V.S. Bosal V.S. Bitless Bridle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #11
JenR
Formerly Underworld Queen

Liked 102 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 60

So I have a question, can you have good hands without having a good seat and legs?

No; at least not without a good seat -- some people are more capable of achieving what I'd call "good but uneducated" hands early on because they are just naturally supple. Their ability to ride off the leg may not be there too because they don't know yet, but they don't bother a horse. And sometimes a good seat can be difficult to see, as it isn't some carved in rock edifice -- Rodney Jenkins had a good seat and hands, but he could be pretty unorthodox looking. Conversely, some people who have a "picture perfect" looking seat, know how to ride a horse off their leg, but are stiff and thus they don't have good hands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Tbitt
Most beloved member of MW
MWH_MODERATOR.png

Liked 114 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bosal: How are they used? Is it a lift of the left rein to go left? Or laying the right rein against the neck to go Left?

Because the reins are tied UNDER the head I am truly not sure how this works...

Enlighten me!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Mike Zimmerman

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The bosal hackamore isn't complicated really, but it's simplicity is what makes it a challenge to use. It's not really an effective tool for controlling a horse, it's really easy to dull the horse to it. A lot of trainers call it an "elegant bluff", but the only one they're fooling is themselves. The horse has to be a willing partner so you can guide the horse with the hackamore.*

It's not really much different than a halter, especially a rope halter. The bosal has a little more feel to it than a halter, this allows you to refine your communication. To get your horse to turn when you lead him you don't flip the lead rope to the opposite side on their neck and pull them toward you, the hackamore works the same way, through direct reining. I don't teach my horses to neck rein, it's a byproduct of direct reining one handed.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
lori

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Are all horses willing?
What about those who are unwilling (lazy, looking to evade work) by nature? Or have a healthy sense of humor?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Mike Zimmerman

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori View Post
Are all horses willing?
What about those who are unwilling (lazy, looking to evade work) by nature? Or have a healthy sense of humor?
That's the callenging part! The answer is the feet, when the feet are soft, the head will be soft too.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
highhorse

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I agree with Mike....bad hands are bad hands no matter what you have on the horses face.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
highhorse

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I try to explain that the the hackamore is not about control or controlling the face but more like funneling the movement of the horses feet.

Each horse is different. For me the more energetic or spirited a horse is the more you must stay slow and take your time (not that Im not taking my time with all my horses) you cannot rush a horse that already wants to rush on its own.
The ones that are less energetic or seem to have zero motivation...I have found that with those types, every little inch of go or try they give you must be met with a huge reward. If you ask for too much too soon or too often, they will quit you.

Just goes to show that you have to know yourself and take the time to understand horses. You never stop learning. And never have any set expectations or set time frame.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #18
Jen Boddy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm really excited I switched my mare from a bitless bridle to a bosal. She seems much happier and is giving me a faster response to what I'm asking for. She's been a real pleasure to ride this spring. Lots of progress has been made. I cant give the bosal all the credit because its an accumulation of her, the bosal, myself (much improved) and a friend helping me. She seems less constricted and moving her body better.

Quick Reply