Abandoed Horses

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by BUC, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Oh, your so silly, dont you know, there are no unwanted/ abandoned horses ::)

2. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Ditto to what Shannon said-----

There are no unwanted horses left in America~

That comment still pisses me off :bs_20

3. sandburs

sandburs New Member

If you can't feed them, just do like a lady down the road has done here lately. She lets them get loose and go to all the neighbors and eat their hay and grain !! Her horses were here a few nights ago and managed to eat 1/3 of a round bale out back before going down the road farther and getting into th eother neighbors grain barn and ending up one highway behind us at another horse place in the morning where they were cornered! ::)
    SO I am out a 1/3 of a round bale which is about 6 days of hay for the ponies. And not cheap. I spent all weekend stretching electric fence, the length of my property to keep from losing anymore. I can't afford to feed everyone else's horses. This ladies horses have been loose at least 4 times last week. And no one could catch them until morning each time.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

I just find it amusing that these reports KEEP coming out yet are continuously denied by anti slaughter group's. It's all made up ya know...a pro slaughter tactic ::)

I'm on some anti slaughter groups...no, they have no idea I'm lurking (you know, keep your friends close and your enemies closer).....but an interesting email was sent out a couple of weeks ago. Re FOB board and the pro slaughter lurkers there....I'm debating still whether to post it or not.....

5. BUC

BUC Administrator

Re: Abandoned Horses

Arggggg....I wish I could stay away from that damn board. Scariest thing I have read yet this morning there....

6. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Oh good grief. Talk about extremists. ::)

And these people can vote.

7. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

I thought the news report was interesting coming out of Seattle. I really figured that the northern border states wouldn't have much of a problem due to the proximity of Canada. I would guess their kill horses went to Canada long before the US plants closed?

8. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Most of the horse slaughter plants in Canada are in Alberta and Sask. I believe -- that's a pretty long haul from the coastal states. And the paperwork is a hassle -- probably easier for the Canadians to get the horses from Canada and from the plains states.

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Before the USA plants closed we shipped approx. 30,000 horses a year to slaughter there.

10. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Be interesting to know what the numbers are now -- with the gas prices up this summer (until recently even) I'm wondering if a lot of areas they did go to dried up; also wondering if they aren't now meeting more than enough quota closer to home (feed prices certainly haven't shadowed gas that's for sure).