any artists out there?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shelley, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Y'all don't want to know how long it took me to do this friggin stained glass window. Anywho, I'm in the home stretch and I'm having difficulty deciding on what color to paint this window frame. It's hard to photograph glass to show correct colors. The outer boarder of glass is more purple than it shows in these pics. There are also two sides to this window. The front side is shown in pictures 41-44. On the backside the glass will be glazed in place like an actual wooden window.

I was going to paint the window frame white but thought it might be to stark and take away from the actual glass or just be to bold. I'm having such a brain freeze on this. Disregard the markings on the glass pieces...it's to help me remember which part goes where in the frame. I can distress paint the frame or maybe just whitewash it?

I'm having trouble re-sizing the pics so I'll just give the link to my photobucket account

They are the first 14 pics on the main page.
    Holy frick, how did I end up posting in the manure pile? I'm a big dork! Should have gone in the loafing shed. my bad
    http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd175/1DSCNDEAL1/

2. desederada

desederada New Member

Joie's an artist
    I'm no artist but I say go with a dark frame.

3. Joie

Joie New Member

I'd say either stain it a dark almost blackish color OR leave it as is and just seal the wood. It looks nice sort of distressed...

4. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Hmmm, I think dark would look good. I'll sleep on it and decide between that or sealing the frame as is.

Thanks for your input. I'll post a pic of the final product.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Shelley, I just came back online and found your thread-----

You do gorgeous work, I have been wanting to learn stained glass for a few years now but don't know how to get started.
    Any good books that would help me?

I would go with a dark border, looks spectacular! :apl

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

what color is the border glass?
    I ask because it looks like it's in the reddish brown tones to me.
    I'd be worried that a dark frame would make that border disapear.

7. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

The boarder glass is actually purple. It's difficult for me to get decent pics because I have not fully installed the glass into the frame so I have to be careful handling the piece. I need to finish off the frame then put the glass in with glaizers points and then apply the putty.

MyTeDun, there is a pretty good book called Introduction to Staineg Glass by Randy Wardell. It's only 11 bucks through Amazon.com. Sometimes a community college offers a class or you can also try craigslist. I recommend taking a class because some of the tools can be pricey and people teaching the class provide the higher ticket items (glass grinder) for students to use. People I know are amazed that I do this because it can be tedious and I'm not known for my patience. Maybe since I can visually see progress I don't mind it so much.

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Shelley if this is an example of the work you do you have alot of patience! That piece is gorgeous~

Where are you going to hang it?

9. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

A friend had asked me to make a window for her. That was maybe 3-4 years ago. I'm going to deliver it to her next month. I hope she still wants it. If not I guess I'll give it to my MIL for x-mas. This window has the fewest pieces of glass I have ever done but matching up all the friggin lines was a nightmare. It is my own design inspired by quilts. That darn star was all I saw when looking at the window frame (purchased from ebay). I couldn't see anything else in that window.

I wish I had pics of my other projects. I think they were lost when my previous computer bit the dust.

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Have you figured out what you are going to do to it yet?

I would love to see the finished project~

11. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

My first attempt will be a wash of light gray. I want to see the wood grain through it. If it's not dark enough I'll just wash it again using a darker gray. Once I'm happy with the color I'll seal it. I'll post a pic of the final product.

12. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Stained glass has always been one of the things I have wanted to learn how to do. Now if I only had a workshop with no one to bother me.

Very nice job on your window.