Burnidge on Sunday 07/28

Discussion in 'Happy Trails' started by Powdernsmoke, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Powdernsmoke

Powdernsmoke Active Member

Cara and I are going to ride at Burnidge (by Elgin) on Sunday if anyone is interested.

2. Stacey

Stacey New Member

We go there all the time! But we will be at a horse show on Sunday, have fun!!

3. Powdernsmoke

We will! Burnidge is my favorite place around here to go.

4. horsedreamin

horsedreamin Active Member

I've never heard of it. I know you said by Elgin, but where is it? What's it like? Always looking for new places to ride. :D

5. Powdernsmoke

6. Deaufan

Deaufan New Member

I was checking out the trail map because I'm thinking about riding there on Sunday. Looks like there are some water crossings on the equestrian trail. How do horses cross the water....bridges or do they walk/wade across?

7. Powdernsmoke

There is only one actual water crossing, and it is a creek. You go through it, and the banks are pretty torn up and crappy. We did it once, and I will avoid it from now on. There is really no where to go once you cross, the trail sort of peters out. There used to be a bridge, but since they have redone the trails it is no longer there.

8. Deaufan

Deaufan New Member

So it's not possible to do a loop of the forest preserve? When the trail peters out, riders have to turn around and go back via the way they came from?

9. Powdernsmoke

It is possible to do a loop, just not over the water crossing. Once you cross the creek the trail sort of peters out and you have to turn around and come back. Burnidge is a really nice place, and well worth the trip.

10. Deaufan

Deaufan New Member

We did the south loop (limestone path) today......very nice. We didn't do the north loop because I thought that horses weren't permitted on that trail. A horse trailer was pulling into the parking area, as I was leaving it. I asked the driver about the north loop and she said horses are permitted. So, next time, we will do both loops.