Cleaning Saddles

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Ponythief, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

What does everyone use to clean their saddles? What do you use on roughout suede seats? Does it matter on the product if the suede is light or dark colors?

:)

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

Black Rock rocks. For the suede I use a stiff bristle mud brush, no cleaner, if it's HAS to be cleaned then I'll use a hair Murphy's Oil soap mixed with lots-o-water, then to fluff back up, the mud brush. I have a mountain of goodies here for you, I'll throw a thing of Black Rock in it too if you can wait until the weekend.

3. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

I can wait ;D or I guess I should say"oh I can't wait! yipee" It's gonna feel like Christmas. Just as long as none of the goodies have heartbeats ;D

I did get the murpheys oil you recommended for the back side of the stirrup fenders but haven't applied it yet.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

Nothing that eats or poops (yet >:D) but there is more crap for you to wash :D (tins)

5. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

I too LOVE Black Rock!!

toothbrush and toothpick clean my saddle at least once a year.

I havent ever had to clean the suede

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I'm very old school when it comes to cleaning tack.
    I like good old glycerine bars and a piece of sea sponge. Use a tooth brush for the tooling / crevases and Castile soap for anything funky/moldy.

Then oil it all up with saddle oil. I love Hydrophane warmed up a bit and painted on with a paint brush. Apply and allow to sit and soak in. Re apply to any area that looks "dry" after 15 minutes. Use a clean dry towel to buff any standing oil off the surface after 30 minutes.

For suede seats / knee rolls, use a stiff brush (nyon bristles are safer than metal) and brush, brush, brush while holding a vacuum hose over the area to suck up all the loosened dirt.

For the shiny bits N pieces I like a wad of Never-Dull. Works like a charm.

7. April

April New Member

I use Murphy's oil soap and an electric or battery powered shoe polisher. Gets down in tooling and stitching really good and faster.