Colic more prevalent this time of year???

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by sandburs, Oct 15, 2008.

1. sandburs

sandburs New Member

Noticing some of the posts about horses colicing lately, has anyone noticed that this time of year some horses are more prone to colic? And if so any ideas or guesses on why? I know it is more prevalent around here, and I have my own opinions on this but curious what the rest of you think and what you do to help prevent it.
    My :2c2
    With the weather changes from warm to colder most horses start drinking less, so can become slightly dehydrated leading to a belly ache that if not caught can become full blown colic in a few hours. Case in point, the first little cold snap we had here last week, in one morning had 2 of my mares acting funny at breakfast, and knowing the signs, I immediately gave each banamine, and within the hour they were doing better. One mare was off feed for the entire day, the other back to eating within a couple hours. But had I not known what to watch for they would have probably been in full blown colic in a matter of hours. Not just off. One advantage of being here, and knowing each and every horse very well. So now I have started salting hay slightly when it is getting colder to encourage more dinking. I do this every year, about the same time.
    Also all mine are fuzzy and the warmer days have led to sweaty miserable horses, and occasionally a belly ache there. No way to stop it, (the sweating, etc) but I do checks on all of them every couple hours this time of year, just in case. And all have been separated from the pasture to separate pens to monitor feed and water intake daily that way also.
    So what do you do if anything to prevent colic at this time of year, or have you ever noticed a trend in cases this time or any other time of year?

Looking forward to everyone's views and experiences with this.

2. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

My daughter's mare used to colic every time there was a drastic change in weather. We would watch the weather and when the changes were on their way we would just start watching her more closely so we could catch it ASAP...she was a terrible patient (our house is 300' from the barn and we have heard her "groaning" from the kitchen table!!)

Hard to say with the water and dehydration theory she was a huge water drinker no matter what the weather was. She also never got very hairy. Never grew a winter coat. And even on 100+ days in the summer at shows she would never break a sweat, she would just be wet under the saddle pad.

After lots of banamine and trailer rides around the neighborhood in the middle of the night to create poop, we finally just figured it was the changes in temp. that caused it and she had the horses equivalant of seasonal affective disorder.

3. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

alot of times when we start feeding hay that they don't increase drinking and the hay is much drier then the grass causing impaction colics

4. sandburs

sandburs New Member

We feed hay year round though, no change in hay or grain to impact it. For us anyway. I can see where it could definately be a problem going from pasture to hay only for others.

5. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

we also feed hay year round.

6. paige

paige New Member

Knock on wood, we almost never have an episode of colicy like behavior here--only 2 or 3 ever.

What we are having a run on is allergies, and general malaise. I have two babies that are just in hell with the runny eyes, and since I am staring at them so long, I have decided they don't feel good all around. Probably they want me to leave them alone

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I also feed hay year round and feel strongly that is one of the reasons--- That is a sudden change for their digestive systems going from moist green grass to dry.
    We very seldom have a colic problem. (Knock on wood)

8. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

We add 1tbs of salt to everyone's grain, and we bran mash when there are severe weather changes (not more than 1x a week). I have one mare that has always been "delicate", and she gets 1/2 mineral oil with her pm grain....it has saved me so many sleepless nights!!!

9. asuits

asuits New Member

It's interesting that you say that about the bran mash. I would think a good wet bran mash would be good for a horse but I went to a feed seminar within the past year and they said that bran mash can be detrimental as it has no nutrients and can actually suck the nutrients out of a horse if given too often.

I have noticed that we tend to have more colic problems when there is a drastic change in the weather over the years and that's even from when we had the boarding barn without any grass turnouts so who knows.

10. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

you can wet down ANY and ALL feed stuff at any time
    I tend to wet mine down when they come in off of pasture for the winter

11. horsedreamin

horsedreamin New Member

My guy, who usually has no problems at all, coliced about a month ago. I caught it in time, but was very surprised it happened in the fall.

In speaking to a friend, she told me that in the fall, just like in the spring, when the temperatures cool off and the grass really begins to grow again, it can have even more of the rich nutrients than in the spring. She also said her stud and geldings usually colic in the fall and her mares in the spring. Interesting.

12. 56hooves

56hooves Senior Member

Dr. Hicks told me that he feels that horses colic mostly this time of the year due to the migration of worms. He suggested to me that you should do a Panacur Powerpak to prevent it. 56hooves

13. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Had two last week :(

Hay fed all year round and no grass turnout as of this time.

One is on pasture board and the other has a stall at night.

It seems that there is no reason but the weather...sigh...

14. wjfan1

wjfan1 New Member

My gelding had an episode yesterday after a long ride. Of course we stopped for about 20 minutes and he grazed on this long grass/hay that might have caused the richness he's not used to. When we got back to the barn I noticed something wasn't right. He started to paw at the ground, which he never does. Then he was in his stall and he kicked at the wall...and NEVER does that. Then he rolled and rolled and rolled...so we did alotta walking and got a poop and then some more walking and banamean and another poop...then he ate some hay. Got the fart and stomached girling. He seems to be better. BO has been watching him. As soon as I can leave outta here (work) I am going over there. Scary to watch.

15. cudabear

cudabear New Member

I hauled 1 into Kendall Friday night. Displaced colon is what was thought. He ended up having to have surgery. They took out 1 lb. of sand and put the colon in the right place. He lives outside 24/7, they feed off the ground (dirt & limestone). He is doing great, I will pick him up Thursday at the earliest.

I've been lucky so far. (I know Imzadi, knocking a LOTS of wood really hard.) The horse I hauled in was a friend's horse.

16. syndiego

syndiego New Member

20 minutes of grazing is going to colic a horse. Especially if he was out an moving around. Did you water him on your long ride?

17. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I use to hang out at the equine hospital quite a bit, because I was close and could check on friends horses while they were there and they said it's very common this time of year withthe drastic weather changes.

We have one that gets what seams like colic during the riding season, turns out his liver enzymes were off due to too rich of a diet. He was cut back to oats and a little sweet feed as per the vet and has only had a episode here and there since.

18. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

I just hauled one to WI. yesterday.........................I need lots and lots and lots of prayers please :'(

19. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Pooping prayers going out to Wis.

20. Michele

Michele New Member

Sierra prayers are going out to your horse