Deceided to pull shoes for winter

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by Horsemommy47, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

So, after much research and talking with my farrier on Tuesday we are going to pull Victors shoes.

I tried the #2 easy boot on him and right now it does not fit.

He will be measured for it when he is trimmed on the 28th of this month.

I have been toting around my camera and today will finally get some pics of his feet for all to see.

I am going to up his dose of Farriers Formula and add an extra day of Keritex painting.

I know it was said that his heels are under-run so when I post pics later I would appreciate all input as to the current state of his feet and I will explain in further detail what has been going on with his feet in the past year.

2. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

My Yogi also has heels that run under. I keep his shoes on all year due to his heels but I also ride him out on the road and across the gravel drive.

Good luck and keep up posted on his progress~

3. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes..I actually laid down in the barn aisle to get these pics...lol

Discuss :)

4. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

I'm not sure where you are seeing underrun heels?

What problems are you having?

5. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Was not me, several others opinions...

I am still learning "hoof 101"

My issue with his feet are the fact that they look like dish saucers

His feet are due the 28th of this month (6 weeks)

I have had him on Farriers Formula since Sept. 2007 so they are much better since.

I Keritex 3 times a week.

Tell me what your thoughts are :)

6. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

Yeah, he looks a tad long...it would be better to post pics right after the farrier visit.

Can I ask where these opinions are coming from?

7. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

I guess I should say it was suggested by my BO and a fellow boarder that he was underrun :)

I spoke with my farrier briefly on Tues. about it and just wanted some general knowledge about what anyone saw/did not see??

Is this something different??

Looks to me like he could use a little more heel?? Be a little more upright in the heel, if that is the correct termonolgy??

8. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

I usually pull my gelding's shoes for winter too, but this year I am going to use snow pads. If I ride frequently he gets too chipped up w/o shoes. Have you considered pads?

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Are those shoes with clamps I see in the pics? Why does he need clamps?

His feet look long but ok to me~
    Has he been trimmed yet? how is he

10. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

At the barn I was at last year Tim Liggett was the one who started putting the clip shoes on him, so the next farrier just continued to use the ones with the clips.

I was told the clips prevent his toe from spilling over the front of the shoe.?.?.?

Sarah... snow pads worked last year at the old place cause he barely went outside, this year at Maries they are out 365 and the path to the pasture can get a little slippery (or so I am told)

Besides if I can get him barefoot in the font permanetly that would be great :)

He is due the 28th of this month.

11. heypony

heypony New Member

I'm no shoer but he is leaving to much toe on him. Then he is rolling the toe to make him break sooner. If the toe is properly pulled back it will bring the the widest part of you horses foot back in the center. This too will pull the heels back where they belong. So you put his base of support back where it belongs. Right now the widest point of his foot in in front of the center. IMO he is over due for shoeing right now. Hard to tell balance from the pic angles but the LF looks long on the outside and is bulging on the inside, the RF looks long on the outside also. He may just grow that way. Does he land evenly when you walk him down the ailse or is he hitting on the outside just before the inside hits. Watch him walk away and towards you.
    I would also like to see the shoe extend a little past the heels for support after he has properly pulled the toes/heels back.

12. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Rick....any comments..please??

13. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Yep.

14. RickB.

RickB. New Member

heypony has hit the nail square on the head.

Additionally, the right hind looks as though it may have a negative plane coffin bone, and the lateral quarter crack would be of some interest/concern for me.

I too do not see underrun heels. Out of curiosity, what qualifies either the BO or the other boarder to make such pronouncements?

You were treated like a mushroom. Probably because the person supplying the answer didn't really know what the answer should be.

15. RickB.

RickB. New Member

Clamps???? you mean 'CLIPS' don't you??

Regardless, to answer your questions, yes, those shoes are clipped. In this instance, they are side clips rather than toe clips.

Clips are useful addendums/modifications/additions to horseshoes for many reasons including, but not necessarily limited to:

Stabilizing the shoe on the hoof

Reducing torque forces which in turn allows a smaller nail to be used

Keeping the shoe from sliding back, especially when there are plastic pads involved.

Allowing fewer nails to be used.

Allowing lighter nails to be used.

16. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Nothing new, seems to be the trend with me...lol

I have been trying like mad to figure out how to keep his feet in check for the last year.
    He gets FF and I put Keritex on 3 times a week.

I am completely un-knowledgeable on the subjest of feet and would like to be educated:

I feel that pulling his shoes for the winter will not be the correct answer at this point and I should go with the Borium nails and pads??(

17. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Will you be using the same farrier as the one who most recently treated him?

18. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

We have two farriers at our barn...

I am not sure what I am going to do at this point...sigh... :(

19. RickB.

RickB. New Member

Then someone is missing something.

Why are the flares not being properly addressed? Again, someone is missing something....
    Why?

Welcome to the club. I've been at it for more than 40 years and I am still learning every day. First rule to learn and apply is "It Depends".

Not that I am not in favor of correctly 'winterizing' the horse with shoes, pads, and traction devices(and I am not a big fan of borium headed nails), but why do you feel that barefoot is the wrong option for the horse?

20. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

hey horsemommy.......... I say go barefoot........ get the cracks gone and the hooves in shape and then go to shoes, if ya want to. JMO I am no shoer.