Diabetic cat

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by twinkle, Oct 22, 2008.

1. twinkle

twinkle New Member

Does anyone have a diabetic cat ? do you give insulin? If so what kind? 1 of my cats has to have insulin 2xs a day.THe insulin costs $100.00 / month. With the economy it's getting hard. I was wondering if I can get it cheaper somewhere . I wish I could list him as a dependant,,,sigh,,,

2. lori

lori New Member

One of my coworkers does. I don't know exactly what or how much but she threw out a figure that was a LOT less than $100/mo.

I have had a huge price breaking get pet prescriptions from Sam's Club but I bet lots of discount places are about as cheap. You don't have to be a member in IL to use their pharmacy.

3. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

This is not a pet related site but Maybe it would be cheaper if your tried ordering it though this site......
    http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/#

Not sure if you'd be able to or not though since its insulin for a cat but it doesn't hurt to try.

4. lori

lori New Member

This looks like an awesome resource.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/

In googling, I found costs of $15-75/mo. I think my coworker said $30/mo but I have no real clear memory.

5. Pixin

Pixin New Member

What kind of insulin is she on and how much? ???

I bought the generic insulin at Wal-Mart for my cattle dog. It was either $16.00 or $26.00 a bottle.

6. Shell

Shell New Member

Look up your County's website. Where I live, McHenry County, they have a "prescription club" sorta say. You can get prescriptions at a discount rate at participating pharmacies. It includes pet meds.

7. twinkle

twinkle New Member

lori-that site is great! Thanks.
    I don't have the insulin in front of me(shhhh,,,,kinda at work,,,) It used to be Humulin (sp) but they don't make it any more. That was only $37.00. I think it begins with an L. I have to restock today. AND the insulin is no good after 1 month even though I still have 1/2 bottle left---that's $50.00 worth grrrr.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may do the on line route. I was kinda nervous "cuz i didn't know if I trusted medicine through the mail. I asked Target and Wal mart,Jewel,Dominicks. Walgreens was actually the cheapest at $97.00 for 1 vial. I didn't try Sams because I thought I had to buy a membership.
    Pixin what kind of insulin do you give your dog? I never realized that animals get Diabetes.

I love my cat and will pay it but I really would like to pay less than $97.00 That doesn't even include the syringes.

Thanks for your help. I will quite whining now. I guess this economy is getting to me.

8. lori

lori New Member

When I was googling, one of the sites said that they talked to the pharmacist, who said it didn't need to be thrown out that fast, though the vet said it did... check with a couple of pharamacists?

Also, syringes... I started getting my horse syringes on eBay. The ones I need are carried by a dairy supply place. But they were $7 compared to $17 from valleyvet or a place like that (which also has a minimum order and/or small order handling fee, etc).