Equal Pay for Women

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by syndiego, Oct 22, 2008.

1. syndiego

syndiego New Member

2. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Very interesting, too bad you'll never hear about it in the mainstream media.

3. paige

paige New Member

Home come a disparity of any sort is okay? Same pay for same job--lets see those figures, not grouped by highest paid, etc

4. syndiego

syndiego New Member

As far as the McCain staff goes, then, the men should be getting raises.

I think pay should be based on merit, and other considerations (years of service, for example), not just the job alone.

5. paige

paige New Member

That is inconsistent. If you think that it should be based on merit and experience, and you cannot possibly know all the details of the employees--how do you know they need raises? Maybe they are less experienced, maybe they are stupider--no way to know when you break it down by sex instead of more pertinent and thorough information

Breaking it down simply by sex is misleading as it does not contain enough info

6. lori

lori New Member

All of our administrative assistants are women. Are we sexist? No, in my department, since I've been here, I can tell you we have not had any male applicants. But because all of the lower level employees ARE women, along with a mix of genders at the higher levels, I betcha our average woman's pay is less than a man's.

7. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

So then going from that standpoint we might surmise that McCain is putting women into the higher paying positions, and Obama is putting women into the lower paying positions. From which we might surmise that there is a possible glass ceiling effect going on in Obama's campaign?

8. lori

lori New Member

Absolutely not. Maybe McCain just likes looking at women when discussing important policy, that's why he has more of those high level women staffers. I threw out the example of my own company to say that sometimes the employee you want just isn't available in the gender or race that you would like to have for the sake of diversity. I went to a school that had an application process. We had about 1-3% African Americans. Not because we didn't want African American students, but they just did not apply.

In this case, I wouldn't say we could surmise anything from the statistics we have here. The sample size is small enough that a few highly paid people of either gender on either campaign could totally throw the statistics.

For example--if Obama's campaign hired 3 more high level staffers at $150k each who happened to be women, the average rate of pay for women would be $54,684. Higher than the men. I don't think that is an out of line salary for that kind of job--if anything it's probably kind of cheap, despite a sort of low average pay. But really to say ANYTHING about this fairly, we'd need more details on job descriptions and pay rates for each description. As has been said previously.

9. syndiego

syndiego New Member

That's MY belief. What's inconsistent is Obama stumping about equal pay for equal jobs, playing to the female voters, and then not practicing what he's preaching.

10. paige

paige New Member

And my point is that without more info than you presented here, we do not KNOW that he is not practicing what he is preaching. We simply cannot know that at all without a whole lot more information

And I totally agree with Lori's point -- exactly right on. Again, we do not have enough info to know what is happening and why, we just have a superficial analysis based on next to no info.