facebook accounts and old people

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shelley, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Shit, my mother-in-law has created a facebook account. Actually, my sister-in-law has created one for her. My poor kids have had to "clean up" their accounts. I don't like this and haven't added her or my SIL as a friend yet. I really don't want to because I want to be able to say what I want without having to worry about offending anyone but there is no way I can get away with ignoring these requests.

I feel so violated. :( I have never really said anything on facebook to be concerned about but don't want to have to start thinking about what I type.

2. Shannon

Shannon New Member

IMO- Facebook IS for the "older" crowd. My Mom (57) has a facebook. In fact, I would bet MOST of my facebook friends are over 30.

If its a problem, Just dont accept her as a friend

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

Yes, you can just not accept her as a friend. They don't get a "denied" letter over it ;D I always keep the word glitch close and handy to my side :)

4. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I don't know if I can get away with not accepting them as a friend. I guess I should just suck it up and be who I am and not obsess about it. These people are just a bit different. I think my MIL will have great difficulty navigating the system. I would just like some areas of my life in-law free. Hubby feels the same and it's his family. Oh well, I'll drag my feet and see if they request again. Maybe they'll forget about me. My girls don't post anything nasty but I don't think their humor will be appreciated. ugghhh

Gawd I'm such a bitch. I accepted them as friends after deleting two items I posted. Not bad I guess. I wish I didn't feel this way but I do.

OMG I take back everything I was whining about. Via facebook my MIL just asked one of my kids friends if she has had plastic surgery on her face. I just about busted my gut on that one. This may provide endless entertainment for me on these cold winter days. :laugh:

5. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Non-friends can't read your blog, however, you can read what you've written on other people's walls.

Say I write on Buc's wall but I'm not Shelley's friend. Buc and Shelley are friends. Shelley see's what I wrote on Buc's wall.

I don't know how I feel about that.

6. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

My sons convinced me to open a Facebook account today.

I'm over 50 and my sons and niece welcomed me!

7. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

I'm with you on this one!!! I can completely understand.

I have a facebook acct but have never done anything with it- have never even accepted any "friends". But still my MIL sends me inappropriate jokes that have been forwarded twelve times, along with urban legend warnings. I must have sent her enough snopes articles that debunk them that she has finally desisted from that.

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I refuse to add my DIL as a friend due to those type of things. My sons wanted me on so I signed up. I'm enjoying it! Different

9. jjones

jjones New Member

I agree that some parts of everyones life should be In-law free....
    I like facebook much better than Myspace... I had a Myspace account but it was way too young for me. I like facebook much better-but I'm getting older now and like things simple.....

10. CBaut

CBaut New Member

Yeah..Jen...you're old. Did you take your Bayer last night, btw?

My future SIL requested me on myspace last night. Not sure why? I know she hates me... I don't want to accept it...but then, does that make me the "bad guy"?

:slapfight:

11. jjones

jjones New Member

Dude I'm old and have arthritis-so I need my bayer... Buhahahaha...

12. HFSH

HFSH New Member

FB is totally for the "older" crowd. Myspace is for the tweens/teens. I have a MS account I haven't even looked at in months. I don't even know if I remember my password for MS!

I forsee nearly all of my HS reunions being organized now through Facebook. Classmates.com is probably freaking out.