Forum Help Guide: Frequently Asked Q & A

Discussion in 'Forum Support and Announcements' started by BUC, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BUC

BUC Administrator

Forum Help Guide: Frequently Asked Q & A

I thought it might be helpful to put up a guide for frequently asked questions, tips and tricks. This will be a locked topic, read only, but if you would like to see something addressed please IM me and I'll add to this thread :)

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

Re: Forum Help Guide: Frequently Asked Q & A

Chat:

Our chat is located at the top of the screen with your

Home Help Search Profile My Messages Calendar Members Chat Logout

buttons or can be reached through this link:

http://midwest-horse.com/forum/chat/index.php

Chat is for members only and cannot be accessed by guests. IP's and users can be banned from chat so if you are experiencing someone who has only joined the board to harass people in chat please report it ;)

If you prefer to use a different text color than black, simply clicking on the "Font Color" button only changes it for the post you are making at the time.

You can find a crisscrossed wrench and screwdriver icon in the lower right hand corner....click on that and check the box that says "Persist font color:" after you have chosen a color and every time you log into chat it will remain the same unless you change your color.

You can also use that tool to change your sounds.

In order to get the user list back on the page simply click the person icon and it will come back.

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

Posting Photos:

We don't allow photos to be uploaded to our server for several reasons.

In order to post a photo you need a photobucket, flicker, snapfish, etc. account.

Use the code in the message box and paste the URL of the picture inside it.

If you have problems or simply cant access one of these services because of a work related computer block or something, please feel free to email your pictures to me and I'll post them for you.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

Back Up Board:

Q: If this forum crashes or goes off line will I curl up in a ball and die?

A: Not as long as you have the link to our back up board for emergencies :)

http://midwesthorse.smfforfree3.com/index.php

And don't forget to save it in your favorites because if the board does crash you can't come here to get the link :D

5. BUC

BUC Administrator

Personal Messages:

If you have important information you don't want to chance losing it is best to make a file on your computer and cute/paste your PM's in there or just make sure you have the info somewhere other than just your PM's here.

We just recently had a forum crash and all PM's were lost. This is one of the most sensitive files to lose during a problem. PM's are an encrypted file and cannot be accessed by an ADMIN, MOD or anyone else but yourself.

If myself as an ADMIN with access to our server even tries to open the PM file it looks like Chinese alphabet soup spewed on the screen. So this also answers everyone's question in the back of your minds....NO, we cannot read your PM's ever! Feel free to talk as much smack as you want about any of us :p ;D :p

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

Calendar:

To get the most bang for your buck for your upcoming event go to the CALENDAR tab above, enter your event, hit Link Event To Post, then tell us about your event. Your event will log on the calendar and your post will publish in the Upcoming Events section. This will also show up on our main forum page while your event spans.

7. BUC

BUC Administrator

Birthdays:

Want to share your birthday with us but don't want us to know how over the hill you are? >:D

After you have registered your account on MWH go back and change your birth year to 0000 and your name will come up on your birthday but not your age :)

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Hiding Your Email Address:

If you have the box checked to hide your email address from the public, YOU will still be able to see it, but no one else will. Time to time I get an IM asking what you are doing wrong because you can still see it...just double check to make sure your box is checked and you are covered :)

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

When using your own picture from your computer desktop, pictures MUST be under 700x700 pixels. Just take it to paint shop or another editing program you have and reduce the size if they are to large before you upload.

When using a photo from potobucket, flicker or such, use the "direct link" not the code.

If you need any help please email me the picture at [email]bighorse@mchsi.com[/email] and I will put it in for you. IMPORTANT: Include your screen name in your emails! ;)

10. BUC

BUC Administrator

It's kind of like the FB "like" option only you can disagree too...Here is how it works:

Every time you start a thread you get 3 points

Reply on a thread you get 1 point

You gain a "Reputation Power" for every 100 points

You get another bar image every 500 points

To give reputation you click on the ^.^.^ in someones avatar.

You can only give out 10 a day and you have to give it to 5 people before you can repeat giving it to the same person, plus you can only give one an hour...it's set up so you can't pad your friends with "omg, you are so awesome" reputation :laugh:

If someone agrees with you, you get 1 point.

If someone disagrees with you it takes 1 point.

It's not as complicated as it sounds...just a way to show others you respect their posts or you think they're are a dumbass :laugh: It's as easy as clicking on the ^.^.^

It's also 100% ADMIN MOD fair. There is no tweaking our reputations or padding others.

Yes, it takes a long time to build. it's not a game or race...just a rating system :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.