Going to Yellowstone

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Sarah315, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

So we are planning a 2 week trip to Yellowstone for next June. We will be driving and camping in our camper. Has anyone gone recently and can recommend some good places to stay, things to see, food to eat?

Thanks!

2. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

The KOA at MT. Rushmore is really nice and you can trail ride there.

3. paige

paige New Member

We just grazed the edge of Yellowstone, but spent some time in SD on the way back and it was wonderful.

There is so much to do in that area, like the Badlands, and Custer State Park--you can have fun on the way there or back too

4. Kahli

Kahli New Member

Just outside the Badlands was a really nice, clean KOA campground with pool. Cleanest showers I have ever seen! Tents and campers welcome.

5. kats

kats New Member

Are you taking horses? We did this trip last year, but stayed in hotels.

You can camp in Custer State Park. If you are taking horses you can ride to Pike's Peak and Mt. Rushmore. Definately take time to climb around the Badlands. Crazy Horse is expensive to view a mountain that will one day be a sculpture. In Custer state Park, you need to see the needles and you can climb up behind some of them. There is a Kangaroo Ranch in Deadwood that you can pet and hold a kangaroo. Devils Tower is nice to see as long as its not 100 degrees out.

In Cody WY we White Water Rafted, it was a good time, but its a sulpher river, so only wear washable items and do laundry the next day.

We stayed in West Yellowstone, just outside the West Entrance to the park.

6. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

We are not taking our horses but it would be fun to go riding while we're there. So if you know of any ranches... And what is a sulpher river?

7. kats

kats New Member

It smells like sulpher, don't know how to describe the smell, but the hot springs also smell like that. They told us not to wear anything (like tennis shoes), because you would want to wash everything, otherwise it would smell.

There are a couple places in Custer Park and there is a park called French Creek that is a campground that I also think rents horses. We also looked into it at Yellowstone, but it rained when we were there.

8. Esa

Esa New Member

Yellowstone is our favorite vacation place and I can tell you allot about it.
    Places to camp - some of the campgrounds are reservations only, some first come, first serve. What kind of camping do you do? If you want hookups, you have to go to Fishing Bridge, reservations needed. Generators are allowed in some campgrounds, not all, during certain hours. The Park is a big place and you may want to move from one campground to one in another area after a few days. If you don't have reservations, you'll want to enter the Park early to find a spot to camp.
    Do you have kids? Do you like to hike, either busy trails or back country? Do you want to fish? Do you like visitor centers or want to be out looking for animals? A new Education Center opened at Canyon last year, and each visitor's center is geared to it's area, so they're all different. Though seeing animals is always hit or miss, there are ways to go about it that make it more likely to see them. We are avid wildlife watchers, and have spent hours looking through spotting scopes at bears and wolves. You will see groups of people in certain places just waiting for the wolves to make an appearance. We have seen some unbelievable things.
    As far as places to eat, there are cafeterias, grills, or restaurants in the main "villages" (Fishing Bridge, Canyon, Old Faithful, etc.) Also, some of the stores have groceries - lunchmeats, chips. I recommend taking along something in your vehicle for lunch along the road. We have found ourselves out doing something and not wanting to stop to drive back somewhere to eat. It's a long drive between places and many times it's mountainous and winding roads.
    Take note of road construction, they can keep you waiting for a long time.
    Obey the speed laws! Animals can be around any corner and it could be a big bison just standing in the road. They love to cause traffic jams, sometimes just walking down the road with a string of cars behind them. :D
    You must see Old Faithful, The Grand Canyon of The Yellowstone, Upper and Lower Falls, Yellowsone Lake. If you just want to chance seeing wildlife, drive through Hayden Valley and Lamar Valley. Stop where you see groups of people looking through scopes and ask what they're looking at. I guarantee they will let you look through their scopes. We started one year with a pair of binoculars, but are now proud owners of, I think, 5 pair, each stronger then the last, and 3 spotting scopes. We usually set one up at a height for children to look through. If you have the time, take a day to go to The Tetons. You will never see more beautiful mountains.
    Go to Yellowstone's website:
    www.nps.gov/yell/
    it tells you pretty much all you need to know. Well, except for the special tips for wildlife viewing ;) If you want some, let me know. It does tell the places in the park where you can go on horseback rides or wagon rides for a cookout.
    On the website there is a "Yellowstone National Park Trip Planner" that can be printed out. Make sure you read it, it looks very helpful.
    You're in for a great trip!!!

9. Shell

Shell New Member

There is a ranch near by that will give you a guided trail ride. I think it was called Heart 6. We enjoyed it.