Gymnastics

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by equusteacher, Oct 12, 2008.

1. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

What are some of your favorite gymnastics to work your horse over?

I think these are my favorites:
    Free Jumping:
    A line of 4 bounces of slightly varying stride legnth.
    A line begining with, a long 1, to a bounce, to a 2 stride, to a bounce, to a bounce, to a 1 stride with an oxer out.

I've found both of these really make them have to think about their feet and regulate their own rythms.

Under Saddle:
    A nice rythmic line of 1's of varying heights, not necessarily in an upward progression. (helps to teach them to only jump what's there, not over jump)
    A line begining with an easy 2, to 2 bounces, to an easy 2, to a easy 1 with an oxer out. ( this one really helps the rider to sit still and let the horse work under them)
    A line of bounces, all big X's. ( I like this one for teaching rythm and the desire to go straight down a line)

Anyone else have their favorite combinations?

2. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

What can we Western riders do for gymnastics with our horses? There must be something

I have barrels that we work around
    poles on the ground

I can't think of anything else to do with him to keep him and me from getting bored

3. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

YOu can still do all of these, just keep them little. they will simulate downed trees and logs and such you might find on a trail ride and teach you how to ride them.

4. asuits

asuits New Member

Back when I was teaching I used to do a couple different gymnastics for the students. Put a few poles on the ground in different areas in the arena and have them count down the strides to the pole. Worked really well getting those without the eye for distance to figure it out. I would also put poles/small x's down in lines that were a long 3 stride or a short 4 stride and make them repeatedly ride it as a 3 stride and then suddenly switch it into a 4 stride and then right back into a 3 stride. Or do a line with 4 poles or x's all with the same distance and tell them make the first one a 3 stride, the second one a 4 stride, the 3rd one a 3 stride, etc. etc. etc.

Another good one was to put a couple poles in a circle and make them hit the same spot on that pole every time and then pick another spot and hit that same spot every time.

Raised trotting poles work pretty decent for those toe draggers too.

MyTeDun in answer to your question, raised poles, sidepassing over poles, backing through an L, lots of transitions, spirals in and out, transitions within the gait - those are all good things to keep him from getting bored.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Asuits and Equus-- I will give these a try. I'm always looking for ideas-- it gets pretty boring riding around in circles out in the pasture.

I have that book "101 arena exercises" too~ I've got lots to do this winter when the weather isn't too bad. tiny arena to work in~

6. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

There are some really good books out that have lots of gynastics you can try.

101 Arena Excercises, by Cherry Hill
    "" Dressage Excercises -- don't ask me the author
    "" Jumping Excercises -- again, don't ask me the author, but I believe off the top of my head Linda Allen had input into it.
    I think there's even one for trail excercises, in-hand/lunge, and eventing too. Just one of these books gives you more than enough things to work on, and they're in a nice format for taking with you. Great resource for instructors, PC, and 4H folks.