help w/ chewing

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by jedders, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jedders

jedders New Member

I got a new pooch this past weekend and he is good in the house but yesturday while tied outside his rope wrapped around a weight bench that was on the porch until someone got here to pick it up and he chewed the bench some ( I thought it was bc he got tangled and left it at that) thankfully the guy still bought it. But just now I caught him chewing apart a toddler matress that is on the porch while hubby finishes painting the room...what should I do?

2. Angien

Angien New Member

Sounds like he is bored.

3. jedders

jedders New Member

I just put him out a couple minutes b4 :-

4. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Definitely go buy him some toys that are specifically his. If you catch him chewing something that he is not to have, scold him with your voice and give him what he CAN chew on (one of his new toys)

Get some pretty though stuff!!!! Something that will take a while to destroy - maybe a Kong with Peanut better in the inside ;)

Some dogs just like to chew, if they can't find anything else to do........

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Is this a puppy / youngster or an older dog?

I agree, it sounds like he is bored. Give him plenty of constructive items he can chew on (but not too many at once!!) and rotate them frequently.
    Kongs with chrunchy treats (or evenjust kibble) jammed inside and peanut butter over the top is a great toy. YOu can make 2 or 3 and freeze them so they are ready to rotate.
    Piggy twists, knotted ropes, anything he's allowed to have and chew up, just rotate them.

When you do catch him chewing something he's not supposed to have, blow a whistly or get an air horn and blast it once, he'll probably freek and look around but that's what you want, to distract him from the bad habit with a harsh sound then give him something he CAN chew and walk away.

6. jedders

jedders New Member

7. Tbitt

Pretty much still young..............Poor you............he he he

Equuwteach's post reminded me..........Don't ask me why..........but my dogs LOVE ice.

Switch it around. Maybe give him ice, or some other frozen (dog safe liquid). It takes them a while to eat..........that will keep him busy for a while..........he he he

8. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Yep, at 2 he's still a youngster.

Something to remember, A tired dog makes no mischief!

Sounds like he needs more constructive excercise before being tied up on the porch.

9. Tbitt

This may not be the most popular thing.............but......

If you need to "Put the guy up" for a while. Find the best place where he will cause the least amount of damage.

When we are down at the barn and the dogs are being troublesome - I put them in a stall.

Do you have an empty stall you can put him in to keep him away from things that he might destroy? Pop him in there when you need him "out of the way" give him a treat or two and a hefty chew toy! We crate our dogs, but the stalls are sooooo much bigger!

If you think he might dig - make sure it has mats. My Beagle/Basset will dig to China..........I have one little space by the door that she can get at.........Grrr.........dogs, the can be too smart for their own good!!!!

10. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Bitter apple spray.

11. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Buy a couple of rawhides..
    buy only those made in the USA.. they are harder to find..

walmart carries a brand named AMERICAN... those are made in Illinois.
    When you buy them, pick out those that are the lightest color.. dogs dont always like to chew those that are dark yellow.

if he wont chew it.. smooch some peanut butter into the crevices

put him in a crate if you cant watch him.. and give him his bone to chew.

there are great toys available.. you can put some kibble in them and the dog has to roll it around to get the pieces.

12. Shell

Shell New Member

Made in the USA...Pressed rawhide bones. My Rott/Pit mix LOVED them. And they last longer than regular rawhide, come in different sizes so you don't have to worry about one size fits all with your dog having it stuck up in the roof of his mouth or down the throat.

Also, Thick carrots.

13. Tbitt

Plus the made in the USA ones have strict guidelines that they have to follow - no bac chemicles allowed.

I find that the rawhides don't last very long with bigger dogs. I love the nylabones!