Help with Car whiner/barker

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by jms, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jms

jms New Member

I have a four year old lab who - every time we take her in the car - cries and barks the ENTIRE time in the car. I can't go through a drive through or stop anywhere because it erupts in full blown barking. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to modify this behavior?

2. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Why is she barking / whining?
    if it's out of excitement then a shock collar would work.

If she's carrying on due to fear of the car then it would just be cruel.

3. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

If it is fear: Every day have her go in the car and sit in it with you for a few minutes. Don't drive anywhere, then start just going around the block and move up from there.

Does she get car sick at all?

If it is just excitement, you can do the same thing as above, but correct her when she whines or barks. You can start out carrying a spray bottle with water and squirt her when she does it...unless, of course, she likes the water. Reward her when she is quiet.
    Shock collar if that fails.

4. jms

jms New Member

It's not out of fear - she loves going in the car - I will try what you guys suggested - thanks!

5. Shell

Shell New Member

The lady with the accent who trains bad dogs on animal planet put a curtain up behind the back of the front seats and covered the back windows. The dogs went for a car ride but got no looking outside stimulation. Once the dogs stopped fussing, the curtain was pulled. If they acted up, the curtain brought back so they couldn't see. Finally the dogs figured it out. Once they were quiet for the whole ride the covers on the back windows were taken down.

6. tomanyaussies

tomanyaussies New Member

I have done this and it works. Your letting them work thru their own problem. As for a shock collar I won't even go there.

7. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Be careful where you drive using this, you may get a ticket. ;)

8. jms

jms New Member

I tried this by covering her crate and crating her in the vehicle. It didn't work - she continued to whine and bark. She is fine when you are not in a populated area. If we are on the highway and there aren't people on sidewalks, etc. she is fine. Once she sees people or hears activity she goes apeshit. When I took her in she had only been in the car once in her entire life and on top of that had only left the property once so she had no socialization and she is four. I do cut her slack for that exact reason. As time has gone by she is a lot calmer, but the biggest issue is the car. We are driving up to Detroit for Thanksgiving and are going to take her so I am hoping to get this sorted out before then.