Hitting others horses??

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Peggy Sue, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I was thinking I tend to treat all horses as I would mine TO A POINT!!

hypothetical situation here

You are a boarder you are getting YOUR horse out and another horse comes thur the gate being aggressive towards you or your horse what do you do??

2. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Swing my lead rope in a circle towards their head. If they don't back off I'll wack em across the neck or chest with it. I've even wacked one across the nose as the neck/chest wasn't having any effect.

ETA: on most occassions, a swinging lead makes them move off so there is rarely a need to make actual contact.

My saftey comes first!

3. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

You know we have some horses who are aggressive out in the pasture usually they try to bite your horse when you are pulling them out. I have told boarders to take an extra lead rope or buggy whip and just to swing it at the other horses they get the idea to stay away without actually hitting someone elses horse. Now if a horse was charging me trying to physically attack me I probably would hit it with something to protect my self but if I can shoe them away without touching them that is what I do. I have never had one physically try to attack me except we had a hyper little thing charge once and I just swing the lead rope and he headed the other direction.

4. asuits

asuits New Member

I personally would rather have my horse hit with a leadrope/whip/whatever than have it get loose and running up and down who knows where or hurt someone else or another horse by being obnoxious.

5. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

It's a loaded topic. I'll answer from a personal standpoint: I want my horses treated as I would treat them -- I certainly do not want my horses acting like thugs with anyone, so if they do something thuggish then I would expect them to get disciplined for it. However, I would prefer that they got disciplined correctly -- no going into their stalls 20 minutes later and pounding them, no hitting them around their eyes or ears, no pounding them into a pulp for a minor infraction. That's how I would treat other people's horses as well -- fair, firm, fun; the three F's are good rules of thumb for horses (and dogs and kids too).

I think most people are of the same viewpoint, but there are those who are not. There are some people who treat horse like Lil Snuggywumpkinspoo (can you say too many viewings of BB and Flicka?), and I don't want to deal with their horses (because I'm not putting up with a horse who's a spoiled brat) nor do I want them dealing with mine (because I'm not putting up with my horses thinking they can be spoiled brats). There are other people at the opposite end of the spectrum and seem to be working out their own personal issues by whacking the tar out of any horse that crosses their path (lack of personal empowerment perhaps?) -- I don't want to deal with their horses because I feel an obligation to stand up for the horse (and that usually ends up with a big ol fight w/ their owners, who then seem to go out of their way to smack the bejesus out of the horse to "show" me), and I'd probably wring their necks if they touched mine.

6. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Ditto what Jenm stated~

7. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

I usually try to shoe them away with the end of the lead, but I have been known to walk out to the pasture with crop in hand. If I have to touch a horse with either, it's on a well muscled part of the body such as chest or rump.

Funny how I normally only have to do the with the horses that are "NH" trained *sigh*

8. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

Depends on the situation.

One day my SIL and I were coming back from Spencer, IN with a horse in a 4 horse trailer. We see a lady by herself along 41 with a flat on her horse trailer and no spare. So we stop to offer a hand. She is headed about 20 miles from where we were going, so I offered to take her horse to her destination, and a county sheriff told her that she could leave her trailer in a parking lot about 1/2 mile up the road. This lady takes her horse off her trailer to load on mine, the horse steps up both front legs looks around and walks back off the trailer. The lady says that she has to do this before actually getting on a trailer. OK keep my mouth shut, and she continues to getting both front legs in and back out again, after about the 4th time my horse is getting nervous. Finally I look at my SIL and told her to stand on the door side and I was going to stand on the other, and as soon as the front legs are on the horse is getting a slap of persuasion on the ass and get the door closed. I smacked the horse with my open hand, the horse jumped on, SIL closed the door and the lady was standing there with this look of what just happened. Standing on the side of a highway with a horse being a butt about loading, a :fluffb on the other end of the lead rope and starting to get dark was a recipe for a disaster that I didn't want to be a part of.

So in short yes I will hit someone's horse if need be, but that doesn't mean I will beat on any animal.

9. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Ditto

10. Kahli

Kahli New Member

Had it happen tonight. Took the lead rope and swung towards her, no backing up, did this 3 times. Took a couple of steps into her space, with said lead rope and she backed up long enough for me to get my mare out. She came to the gate while I was closing up, I called her a b!tch and she walked away.

11. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

OK then most of us feel like I do that if the horse is threating you or yours, we do have the right to protect ourselves... I had somebody get bent over it adn just wondered if I was out of line... I don't board but was put in a weird position...

12. flygyrl

flygyrl New Member

Yup, same here. My mare was pasture boarded for two years and I ran into this ALL THE TIME. I never caught any flack for it, but would NOT have apologized if I had. Not my problem if your horse is a b!tch in the pasture and has no manners. I'm not going to get run over.

13. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I think a good rule in that sort of situation, where somebody else's horse is acting like a pig and they are pulling the "hooowww daarrre yyoooouuu" if you're protecting yourself or your horse, is to turn it on them and say "hey, you mind getting and keeping your horse under control while I get mine out? yours has been acting like it would like to hurt us for some time now...and since he/she/it's YOUR HORSE would you mind getting in between?" Usually the owner in question doesn't have a problem with smacking their lovely pretty pony in those situations. Some might even relent a little and give you permission.

14. Dusty

Dusty New Member

In theory, all horses should respect humans as their herd leader. Their is very little room for a 1000 pound animal to push me around and I'll do what it takes to make it happen. Of course I make sure the "punishment fits the crime".