HOLY CRAP- TRAINER ABUSE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Shannon, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Shannon

Shannon New Member

OMG- I just read like a 400 post thread and another 100+ post thread on Pleasure Horse Forum about someone who sent their horse to a "Big Name" Quarter Horse Trainer- Cleve Wells.  Cleve Wells is like a "Michael Jordan" in the pleasure horse world based on his popularity, good marketing, success, and sales (sells DVDs, Books, Clinics etc...) He also has won a TON in the AQHA.

( http://forums.delphiforums.com/PHJ_forum/messages/?msg=129046 ) must be a member of Delphi forums to read.

Anyways, the owners of the horse showed up unannounced only to find the horse with devistating spur sores (which some on PHF are arguing is a "fungus" and not spur marks, but either way, HOLY SHIT!) and a BROKEN JAW!!!!!!!!!

I guess she IS suing him.  But HOLY SHIT- look at this!  How on earth, Fungus or Spur marks, could you let a horse get this bad and NOT contact the owner!!! WOW!!! :mad:

Be sure to click on the PDFs and read the witness statements!

http://horsemanslibrary.com/kb/NEWSview.asp?key=123

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

WOW. Just WOW.

A friend was telling me about the thread this morning but I hadn't gone over to read yet. I never imagined it was this bad.

WOW.

3. PT

PT New Member

Pretty coincidental that the horse has a fungus on both sides in the same spot the spur makes contact with... BUT I do think that's Furazone dripping and not pus. It's awfully "neon" for pus, and trust me, with my horses, I've seen more than enough of both... ::)

Can you post the (link) thread in The Pleasure Horse Forum?

I've never sent any one of my horses somewhere "new" without popping in every couple of weeks...

4. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Its in my first post ;)

http://forums.delphiforums.com/PHJ_forum/messages/?msg=129046 This thread is titles "Cleve Well's situation" and was started by the Moderator of the Pleasure Horse Forum.

You have to be a Delphi member to view it though.

There is also a 400+ post thread titled "Lawsuit Against Trainer" This was before the owner of the horse called out who was responsible for her horse's neglect. She was just asking if anyone had sued a trainer and won.

5. desederada

desederada New Member

So I wonder how popular his training secrets will be? This makes me F-ing sick and the most disgusting part of it is all the people who will back him up.

6. Buffy

Buffy New Member

7. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Wow that's terrible, I don't really see where the girth would have been and a lot of the marks are so far under the belly it's strange, some people just need to be shot.

8. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Sick SOB.

Poor horse.

9. jjones

jjones New Member

Shannon they were talking about pics-did you see them somwhere??? I couldn't find them... Duh... Now I see it...

10. Shannon

Shannon New Member

11. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Holy crap is right.

No wonder those poor horses look so 'broke' after having to endure this type of 'training'.

12. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

Yeesh. I can't believe it. That poor horse.

Now with the wounds suffered I could totally see tying him so he doesn't lay down/get dirt on the wounds etc...while the VET WAS BEING CALLED....that's what I don't get...why wouldn't a vet be called?

13. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

OMG...that is horrible!! That poor horse :'(

Someone should find that trainer and break his jaw and see how he likes it...SOB :mad:

14. KS QUARTERS

KS QUARTERS New Member

That is totally disgusting and these are professionals whatever :mad: :mad: kkp

15. find8fences

find8fences New Member

16. 56hooves

56hooves Senior Member

Geez! I thought everyone knew the horrible abuse that most pleasure horses endure to win "BIG"! Once when we went to Louisvile, Ky. for my husband to ride in a penning we got there very late on a Friday night. Went to the arena where all of the pleasure horse people were riding their horses. They were everywhere. It was something like 1:00 a.m. From what I understood those people ride in shifts so that the horse is so tired the next day that it will ride nice and slowly. Another trick they do is tie the horses' head up very very high for hours so that the horse will be too tired to hold its' head up and will do the peanut rolling type thing. Don't know if they still ride them like that as I quit paying attention to them quite some time ago. It is deplorable, but it is all about the money. Even if those people sue there will be someone to come in and pay the idiot to do it all over again. Most don't care about the horses -only the winning. Sabella Rush

17. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

It isn't just the western pleasure trainers/riders who do this (I've seen plenty of team penners who didn't give a fig about their animals and treated them like crap). This is an industry wide problem.

There was a thread on another forum concerning who had once been an up and coming German trainer/rider -- there are videos of the abuse she perpetrated on horses which are just as bad as these pics (perhaps more damning, because several where she is caught in the act). She lost her license in Germany (after pleading that she was emotionally fragile due to her husband's death and that's why she "went overboard" on the horses in the video ::) they always seem to have at least one excuse ::)). She then went to Holland and got caught doing the same damn thing. Hopefully they never allow her near a horse again -- although that means she'll probably turn up here or S. Africa or Australia to ply her "trade".

Abusive trainers are all over the place -- some are just ignorant and stupid (aka. are really not qualified to be training horses, wing it, and do damage), some have emotional issues (there are a lot of crazy ass horse people -- some of them really crazy), some are really not such bad folks but have been pressured by their clients to "get the job done" and have compromised their ethics (and yes, some owners very much contribute to the abuse problem -- I've seen a couple of pretty decent trainers go down the path to abuse hell because of some clients with the attitude of "I want it right now!", and then there are the greedy, nasty bastards that just don't give a fuck beyond their own ego gratifications and wallet.

No breed or discipline is immune from these folks.

18. desederada

desederada New Member

A quote I saw on another forum said, "Abuse starts where knowledge stops" or something like that and I have to agree.

19. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

That is sick Thats why It is so important to be involved in your horses training check up on it as much as you can you pay for there service and expect quality care of your horse make sure you get it. Good thing she checked up on her horse or hell knows what else would have happened to it. Sick SOB

20. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

I am curious as to how this will pan out in the end. Cleve Wells is considered a "god" in the AQHA industry...so it will be interesting to see how AQHA goes about handling this since he is listed as a Professional Horseman and on several committees (apparently they have been notified). A lot of the "good ole boys" just get a slap on the wrist and in a month or 2 it is forgotten.

I feel terrible for the horse and those involved, however I hope that this is an eye opener for the whole industry.