How much "stuff" do you have and where do you keep it?

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Tbitt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

How much "stuff" do you have and where do you keep it?

So, this weekend, I took 2 of my horses over to Morganfan's to play, Rexy brought Diamond Girl and rode. And the rest just stood around and watched.......... :- :p ;D

Fast forward to the end of the play date, Drifter is sweating and steaming up the place.

I casually walk out to the trailer to get my one and only wonderful fleece cooler...........NOPE GONE, I remember I had packed it away into a plastic tub and it is sitting in my barn...........I dig through the tack trunk I have in the trailer and I find a old used, woolish one that I got "just in case".

Thank goodness I had that!

So, now I wonder, what does everyone else do?

How many coolers do you own, where do you keep them?

How many blankets do you own, for how many horses and where do you keep them?

This is what I have and where I keep them...........

1 winter blanket that fits Drifter and Flint - In the plastic tub, in the barn.
    1 stable blanket, that barley fits Drifter (won't fit Flint) - In the plastic tub, in the barn.
    1 BIG, THICK, full neck winter Blanket that fits NO ONE! (Rex is now gone) - In the plastic tub, in the barn.

And that is it.

I had NO blankets in the trailer..........and only this one used, old, ripped cooler (Thank goodness I had that!)

I have them in the barn because when we ride there I need them............I don't want to run out to the trailer to get them every time I ride indoors in the winter.

I do keep them in the trailer in the spring and fall.

What has worked for you?

2. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Re: How much "stuff" do you have and where do you keep it?

I'm pretty much out of stuff right now -- I had at one time, five large trunks(like the ones they put in the back of trucks) and two foot lockers full of stuff. It was rather shameful.

I've still got my old nasty blankets -- they'll probably give out this year or the next; they are beyond even give aways and will be given a ceremonial cremation for living a hero's life. They're really kind of past the point of taking great care of (they are pretty old, my Baker is now into it's late twenties) but every spring we take them down, power wash them, hang them up to dry and then put them in a trunk).
    As for how many I've got? A lot less than I used to (there used to be 3 blankets/horse -- like said, shameful). I've got four turnouts per critter and two coolers now -- and that's enough.

Well, the excercise rugs would have been nice -- but I found a decent alternative in some $4 polar fleece throws on sale, so I've got a couple of those two ;D

Right now, everything is out there at the barn and hung up -- it'll get put in the trunk this spring when the weather finally warms up.

Tbitt -- always make a trip packing list and follow it to the letter -- that way you won't forget, and if you do that often enough it becomes second nature ;)

3. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I've got a wool cooler - currently in the basement (not doing much good there).

I was recently gifted an old blanket. I don't really do the blanket thing but thought I should have something in case of emergency. It's not much good but it'd do in a pinch.

I don't blanket the big girl. She's a hair factory who is stalled at night. The barn is an old cow barn and stays decently warm in the winter. If the weather is really, really bad he brings them in anyway. He needs the horses in the barn to create enough heat to keep the waterers from freezing up.

I would buy a used blanket, but the big girl takes an 88 and they don't show up too often.

4. JenR

They had some big (draft size) ones on clearance last year at Schneider's last year. Sometimes Dressage Extensions will have the really big ones, which go on clearance too every so often.

5. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Thanks Jen. I'll check it out but on a pretty tight budget right now. :-

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

A check list for away trips is a great idea. There's nothing like traveling clear down to Shawnee National Forest, bringing everything but the kitchen sink (and a bridle :-[)...

I used to have a theory that if you had lots and lots of "stuff" you'd surly have something somewhere handy. After I finally figured out that doesn't actually work....all blankets, brushes, lead ropes and such all end up in one spot anyway.....I down sized considerably. I now have 1 item per critter and shared grooming supplies. It actually seems to work out better because I never assume I have a spare with me.

Poods, I feel your pain. I old boy took a 106....talk about impossible to find....

7. Tbitt

The only time my guys get blanketed is if they are old and sick (REX), if they are standing on a picket line and it is close to frosting outside or if it is dewy wet and cold or if they are wet from ridding.

On the picket line; they can't go anywhere to protect themselves, so they get blankets, if cold enough or raining and I want to ride soon.

I've never blanketed anyone out in the pasture, except for Rex.

I really don't baby my horses (much) I want them hardy mo fos! They are not show horses so I allow full fuzzies, in fact I encourage it. ;)

But, I found myself at a bit of a loss the other day when I had pretty much NOTHING in my trailer.... :-

When I got home, I brought them both inside, pulled the cooler off of Drifter, tossed them both in a stall (so Drifter didn't fret from being alone) and did my chores. After chores were done I pitched them both back out into the pasture. Poor Flint missed them terribly......... :- :D

8. lori

lori New Member

Big blankets are kept in the basement at the farm. Pretty much every piece of horse tack used in the last 20 years is in the big trailer. This makes it a PITA when I take my little trailer, because it has no tack compartment so I have to move anything I need. Consequently, we will often roll with too much trailer, just because it's a pain to move stuff, and there's the chance something important might be forgotten. I do have 2 coolers in there in case it does get chilly--that's usually about as bad as it gets.

If it rains the horses stay out, unless it's a cold rain, then they will go in the trailer until it stops. We usually take 3 horses in a 4H, so most of the time we can pull out dividers and make it pretty comfy, we just tie them on the inside like they were tied to the outside.

One time DW took Vinnie by himself to a show and it was cold. He pulled out all of the dividers so Vinnie had the entire back of a 4H to himself and just left him in there like a stall. But Vinnie didn't want to be stuck inside the trailer, so he kept going to the walk-thru door to the LQ and sighing loudly--all night! The next day he spent a couple of minutes tied outside while Darren got things ready to go in, and then that night he did not complain at all about being inside a horse trailer!

9. Tbitt

Actually as simple as a list seems, it is a good idea.

I don't ever trailer my guys out to ride in the winter..........so this was something new for me.
    And I guess a learning experience.

I tried having a tack box in both my trailer and the barn, but it all ended back up in the barn. So that didn't work out so well.

I'm gonna think about this list - I might even laminate it and put it in the trailer!

10. JenR

Yes, the checklist is indespensible -- and running through it enough times, it becomes habit so only need it for special events where you may need other stuff. We keep a basic list and an expanded show/trail riding list. The basic list we hardly use anymore --because we have to haul to ride in the winter (when we're not crazy).

11. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

I have become somewhat less of a psycho anal retentive organizational freak. I don't think you guys went in the tackroom Sunday...there are still signs of 'my past'. :police: Sure as a shootin' match, if you are in a hurry, really need it or under stress, you'll forget it or won't have it! I have 'show' stuff in 1 tack trunk and 1 rubbermaid....I NEVER use anything from them when I am at home...EVER! Inside the trunk is a card with everything that is inside and things like bridle(s), bits, emergency extra parts, saddle etc. that I use at home and need to bring. I used to keep the show stuff in the trailer until the weather turned cold. It ended the frustration of getting somewhere and forgetting something. I haven't shown a horse in 6 years but the show stuff is still ready to go. Everything is in the tackroom in the barn right now....Like others have said, I'd say go w/the checklist. ;)

12. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

......and about the 'how much stuff you have'....I'm not talking until my lawyer gets here :-X

13. Tbitt

LOL!!!! I wanna see your tack area!!!!!

Funny thing! We were in kind of a hurry. We had "winterized" the trailer, we had the mats pulled up and all the bedding out....and most of the tack out of it.

We had to put it back together before we could leave......Not that I am using that as an excuse...........because, I bet I'd not have even thought of the blankets.......... :-[

14. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I did a major purge of my big trailer this year. I have enough tack in it to accommodate dozens of horses. I knew I had hit rock bottom when I was camping and someone ask me if I had a snaffle bit they could use and my reply was what kind do you need a full cheek, a copper roller with D-rings, a sweet mouth o-ring with copper inlays, a kimberwick (jointed or solid), side pull with snaffle or without? I knew at that point it was time to clean house. I ride my horse with the same bit all the time, each horse has its own bridle, but I have also purged a couple horses this fall too.

So when I'm going to go int he winter I just grab what I need from whereever I have it and go.

15. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

"Horsefreak's Livery Service" is purging tack! Thought I'd never see the day...too funny. :nana:

I have some tack for sale, some of which isn't listed yet...and also some show clothes will be offered. I want to get down to just my usual items that I use and purge the rest.

I have actually been traveling way too light the past few years and need to carry just a few extra things. I have also been adding to my emergency kit which I need to continue doing. Tools are also good to keep with you.

16. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Oh I don't know if I can sell it.. that would mean addmitting I did not need it, though I'm laid off work now it might come to that! :hang:

17. lori

lori New Member

I would buy some more bits. :)

18. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

OK, so the stuff you're purging out of your HOUSE will be replaced with horse tack....I see. ;)

Then the big trailer will be more organized and you'll find all your 20 cinches. ;D

19. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I have thrown some of the cinches since getting the new ones... and bought all new blankets so I could let go of the old ones...

20. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Ditto!