I just spent 6hrs at the ER

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Ponythief, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

With my son.

In P.E. class he was doing a backward shuffle run and stepped on his shoestring and fell straight back and hit his head on the bleachers.
    This actually happened yesterday afternoon but by tonight the swelling was where I could cup my hand around it. And he wasn't feeling very good and had a horrible headache, so off we go to the prompt care clinic where they looked at it and said" go straight to the hospital"

And 6 hours later :mad: he has a concussion. No physical activities for quite awhile. No running, no jumping nothing but a walk.

But the good news is it did not go deep. (the Dr. explained it alot more in detail but it amounted to no serious damage.)

I hate ER rooms. I can not believe people go there for just a runny nose and other minor crap. My son was in alot of pain and this women had her 3 kids there, yelling, spanking and cussing them all, because she had a stomach ache. And the whole time talking on her cell phone. Absolutely freaking unbelievable!

I am sooooo exhausted but Jarob will be just fine. He was such a trooper with the cat scan and all. God Bless my little guy :)

Deb

2. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Deb,

I am glad to hear he is going to be all right.

I hate ER's as well.

3. pinp

pinp New Member

saaaaaaaaaame. Unless you're bleeding profusely or spilling other body fluids all over the place, you wait your turn. Triage my fat ass.

4. Shell

Shell New Member

Happy to hear theres nothing serious to worry about. Sorry to hear about the pain he's going through. Believe me, you did get a reaction from me while I read how it happened.

ER's=after hour clinics for people without insurance.

Now just trying to give you a smile....
    velcro strap shoes!

Hope your son feels better soon

5. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

That sucks BIG TIME!! I am glad to hear he is ok and well be fine ...

6. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Glad it wasn't more serious, hope he feels better soon.

7. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I am so sorry for your son!!! Hope all turns out ok..

school sports can be very rough...

I agree with you about emergency rooms!! They are a social thing for many people! I have found that there are people who seem to get 'free' emergency care and they frequent the e.r. regularly.

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Wowzerz! Glad he's ok. Isn't it funny how a kid can play extreme sports and live through it, do something silly and about kill himself :eek:

9. sandburs

sandburs New Member

Ouch, poor kid. Hope he feels better soon. After having a lovely ER and then unfortunately hospital stay with my DD recently I really feel for you. There is nothing worse!!

10. horsedreamin

horsedreamin New Member

Glad he's okay. ER sucks bigtime! One of the only advantages of the small hospital in town here is there is never any waiting. Unfortunately, I have first-hand experience with that more times than I would like.

My son also had a concussion in August during football practice. He was air-lifted to a level 1 trauma center in Rockford. Scarey stuff. No contact sports for him for a year.

Being a parent can be very scarey at times. :eek:

11. April

April New Member

When my granddaughter broke her neck she got a concussion also. They said it could take up to 3 months for it to heal. She got lost in the hallway at school the other day and missed some answers on her school work. This little girl has had perfect papers every day this year untill now. She was heart broke she missed 3 on her math paper.

12. morapt

morapt New Member

I'm glad he's going to be ok. Bubble wrap anyone?

13. Kellysdream

Kellysdream New Member

Wow Deb, Glad to hear he is ok!! That is so scary.

14. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Thanks Guys!

He's still sleeping. Man, I wish I could be too.

What a short night.

:)

15. Jumpybordercollie

Jumpybordercollie New Member

Glad to hear he's OK!!! :)

Last time I was in an ER (had to get an EKG after hours) a girl came in the room next to me. Her complaint was sore breasts and a missed period.

:-X

Don't know what THAT could be, but a 5$ drug store test could have answered the question.

She didn't have insurance either, so $800 out of our pockets to tell this dumb bint she's pregnant.

16. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

After growing up with 2 brothers and raising 2 sons and 2 step sons I think I've expereienced all of it.

Good luck!

I'm glad he is ok, they love to scare the hell out of you don't they???

Be prepared for more before he is all grown up though~

17. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

Glad he is ok:)

I hate ER's!!! Hubby sat in an ER a few years ago with his appendix about to burst.. and they made him wait over 8 hours to confirm that he had insurance......

18. Shell

Shell New Member

Well that's F'd Up!. :mad:
    Guess I should start carrying the most recent pay stub to show health insurance WAS withdrawn from my pay.

19. NutsEmom

NutsEmom New Member

If you talk to Horsedreamin, maybe she can hook you up. It's been suggested to her many times to find a good source! >.<