In IL or close by

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shell, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Shell

Shell New Member

Bf and I have all next week, that weekend and the following Monday off. Taking the whats left of our paid vacation time from work.
    We wanted to go to Colorado to see the Fall colors in the Rockies and check out what it's like south of the mountains, but a week isn't long enough with drive time to get to and back home included.

So! What is there to do exciting in IL or Wisconsin? Maybe somewhere to go for a few days. We like the outdoors. Country or woods atmosphere. A Starbuck's has some where in the area if it's an overnight, had to throw that in as a requirement.

You'd think living here we'd know what we can do, but anywhere we go is maybe an all day thing, not a few days thing.

Thought about Starved Rock, but the overnight lodge or cabin fees are expensive. We even looked at staying close by Starved Rock. Ottawa is $90 a night at the Super 8!

Any recommendations?

2. Jen

Jen New Member

Galena area?

Look for hotels in Dubuque area, they are MUCH cheaper.

3. Refuge Ranch

Refuge Ranch New Member

Stay somewhere in Amish Country! I love the shops, restaurants, flea markets, etc. that usually accompany areas where there is a big Amish population. Paris, IL is one of my favorite.

Chris

4. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Monroe/New Glarus in WI

House on the Rock, WI

The Dells are pretty empty right now too

5. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Go to the Garden of the Gods area of Shawnee National Forest
    Arthur, IL has an auction Sat morning and has a STRONG Amish influence in the area

Paris, IL ?? What's there besides Walmart adn Rural King

ROckville, IN area has the covered Bridge Fesitval that ends this Sun

6. Refuge Ranch

Refuge Ranch New Member

I guess it's not really Paris. . .more the Rockville area. We have friends in Paris so that is where we stay when we go. . .either there or camping at Turkey Run . . which is also beautiful and I think the cabins there are fairly reasonable. We were actually just there last weekend! Flea markets galore. Heaven for me. :)

Chris

7. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

OH the Rockville area is just STunning this time of year!! and the Covered Bridge festival has soemthing for everyone... I perfer Mansfield when I go lots of crafts the old water wheel mill just a neat little town...

8. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

Garden of the Gods is beautiful.

Smokey Mts./Gatlinburg area is also worth the trip. (about 8 hours from the Chicago area)

9. paige

paige New Member

How about the wine trail in St Charles MO and surrounding areas? Perfect weather for it

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Land between the Lakes in Paducah, KY------ just over the IL line south of Shawnee

Gorgeous area~

11. Shell

Shell New Member

Thanks for the ideas, I'm gonna have bf look over all of your recommendations given so far :)

12. heypony

heypony New Member

What about the covered bridge fest. in S. IN

13. Shell

Shell New Member

The Bridge Fest has been mentioned a couple times so far. Peggy Sue mentioned it ends this Sun.
    Our time off of work doesn't start until Monday. We have to work this Sat and Sun.

14. burgie

burgie New Member

Saugatuk, Michigan is quite nice...not sure if the shops are still open though.
    They close down at the end of october-ish.

15. Shell

Shell New Member

We're trying to find somewhere to go that is up to a 5 hour drive from home. Home is in Huntley, about 40 minutes south from the Wisconsin boarder if driving through Woodstock.

In Galena, is there anything else to do other than walk the downtown?
    I'm not a fan of shopping, unless it's needing something for our pets.
    Or going in a sweet shop.
    But, bf just got his results back today about the diabetes and cholesterol. He needs to make a lot of diet changes and start exercising. I'm sure it won't go over well with me eating one of those huge chocolate covered strawberries or designer carmel apples or a couple of those melt in your mouth truffles and he can only watch. >:D ;D

House On The Rock I've only heard of, I don't know anything about the area. Can anyone tell me about it?

16. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Been there once several years ago. I guess it's one of those things you do once. It's interesting... Lots and lots of collections. Kind of strange, but that's just my opinion.

Do you like antique stores? Lots in the area. The trees are gorgeous up here right now, but you better hurry if you want to see the color. Baraboo is beautiful this time of year.

17. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Has anyone suggested Lake Geneva just over the border in WI?
    We love that area, apple orchards, wineries and shops~~

Gorgeous resorts and of course the lake. There are quite a few B&Bs around the lake.

This time of year there wuolnd't be alot of people there.

We have stayed at the Abbey several times~

18. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Shipshewana, IN. is always a good time. Lots of Amish people. The Peter Stone Company is located there as well. Very neat place to tour and see how they make the horse statues.

19. Shell

Shell New Member

I guess shopping is the thing to do, if your looking for something to do? :-

We're actually looking for places with beautiful trails to walk or drive thru showing the Fall colors.
    Is there any places that have waterfalls or anyone know of a particular area along any rivers that's beautiful this time of year? Small town friendly atmosphere.
    Possibly rent a couple trail horses. Yes, we have our own, but while on vacation I don't feel weird paying to ride someone else's.
    Old barns to take pictures of.
    I guess I'm looking for a "rustic" laid back get away.

20. cherokee

cherokee New Member

I would head south into MO stop in Eminance and visit all the natural springs they have.
    Alley springs, and Blue springs are just two of the many around eminance. They
    are really neat to see, then head from there down to branson and check out what is
    going on. The colors were just starting to change when we started t come back
    from the trailride so there should be pretty prominante color down that way by now.

Or if you have never been to Mnt Rushmore head out there go to Mnt Rushmore,
    crazy horse, the bad lands. it is well after tourist season so motels will be cheap
    plus alot of the gifty type stores will probably be having there sell outs. Last time
    I was out there in October the sales were awsome.