Jan. 15th MWH Lunch Champaign

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shadow, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Shadow

Shadow New Member

OK, so did anyone decide about the get together next week..when , where, who...just checking so I don't miss it AGAIN !! Champaign,???

2. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

Re: MWH..get together in Champaign this month

I wanna know too! dammit...its been a long time yonder since I've been to a gathering with the forum peeps...I believe the last one was a Buc's house when she still lived in WHITE HEATH (yes I know that wasn't MWH)...so...

3. lori

lori New Member

I have it on my calendar at work, the big question is where?

I can't remember what we had for ideas...
    Za's - $6-8 lunches, pasta, Italian sandwiches and salads. Linked menu is for their campus location, I recommend the one by I-74 & Neil St.
    Hickory River BBQ - some were ambivalent on this... I usually get a kids meal and am stuffed but I think $8-10 lunches. Near I-74 & Cunningham Ave
    Bombay Indian Grill - I think under $10. I am no Indian food expert, in fact, I expected to really not like it, but I just went there and thought it was amazing. From I-74 & Neil maybe 1 mile down S on Neil, and 1 block East--on the edge of campus.
    Dos Reales - where went last time, Mexican food, $5-10 lunches - a few blocks from I-74 & Prospect
    Thara Thai - supposed to be awesome Thai food. A few blocks from I-74 & Prospect in a different direction
    La Bamba - just thought of this one--part of the quintessential drinking on the U of I experience, it's also great when sober. Ehh maybe 2 miles from I-74 and PRospect but easy to get to. (<-- Paige, bring Barry, we can all get drunk sitting in the parking lot. It will be a repeat of my high school weekends for me.)

I'm trying to come up with places unique to C-U or at least not so common, so it's fun for the out-of-towners to eat somewhere different.

4. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

OK what day I have forgotten adn I am bringing a guest this time ...

just tell me where :)

5. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Za's sounds good to me....???????????

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

Jan. 15th, right? I believe that's what we had decided worked best for most.

I don't care where!

7. Ms Walkabout

Ms Walkabout New Member

Not to try and manipulate anyone ::) - but - i never know if i can take much extra time off until that day as i have to wait and see how many slugs have called off for the day. Buttt- my office is right at the end of incoming Interstate 72 - so if it is someplace on the west side of Champaign i could at least come for about an hour or so

8. lori

lori New Member

Well, to get near Tenny, we could go to the Za's location on Springfield road and there is a La Bambas over there... I can't recall, I think "El Toro" or "El Torero" is over there which is very similiar to Dos Reales but not quite as good. There's also Nero's Gyros... uhhh... I'm not over there that much so I can't think of much else.

I am a big fan of Za's and I love their make your own pasta--the creamy marinara sauce and sun dried tomatoes are like crack.

9. Ms Walkabout

Ms Walkabout New Member

That pretty much covers the area - other than Famous DAve's which i think someone mentioned in the prior thread - but i can't remember if it was a yeah or nay on that one. El Torrero moved and opened a new place - it is much larger and looks like the decor is nicer - haven't checked out the food yet though. It is about 1/2 mile further west on Springfield than the original location - right where the K/C's used to be.
    If we end up in my neck of the woods - i would say maybe either Za's or El Torrero --.
    Anybody with a birthday around then so we can get the sombrero dance done and embarass them :nana:

10. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

Let me know where, I am off that day.

11. BUC

BUC Administrator

Want to just call it Za's on Springfield?

If were going to try to do this once a month then we'll have plenty of time to hit them all, LOL!

12. lori

lori New Member

Let's do Za's, it is my secret favorite of the list and I don't think anyone said anything negative about it.
    Address: 2006 Springfield Ave, Champaign Click for map.

Let's see, try to arrive 11:45-12? Or do we want to do earlier to beat the lunch rush? First person in grab us a bigger table--I think we have around 8 people (Lori, Buc, Asuits? Shadow, WhoaBoy, Ms Walkabout, PeggySue+1). I think it works like the one I go to usually, place your order and they'll call your name in a few minutes to go up and get it.

13. BUC

BUC Administrator

Well I could....but since the incident was when they first opened I can do a benefit of the doubt thingie :)

Lori, your not going to take us all to Sam's for pizza and pop? :p

14. lori

lori New Member

Maybe we could do Sam's some month when we were all feeling poor. $2.58 pizza and drink, baby!

15. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

My guest is a member here but I think she has like two posts LOL Appyriderx7 I think is her name

16. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Well, I can't make it. BUT hubby might be in the area, so I just asked him if he wanted to go out to lunch with a bunch of girls. He said "I don't think so" in a real funny voice and gave me a stupid look. LOL I know he wants to. ;D ;D

17. Shadow

Shadow New Member

OK,,,Za'sit is..Jan. 15 first one there grabs a huge table... THANKS for the map Lori..I need it..I don't get to Champaign much so I need all the help I can get...OH SHit, wait a minute...does this place ...Za"s...serve alcohol ?? Gotta have a marquarita... :p

18. Ms Walkabout

Ms Walkabout New Member

Things can get a little hectic at high noon - so i would recommend getting there no later than 11:45. I don't think they serve liquor at Za's tho :'(

Just to confuse things - i just thought of something else. The Office II is just about 200 yards from ZA's. I am a frequent flyer there at lunch and they serve pretty decent bar food and have a good variety . Also, i don't know about Marguritas, but on a rare occaision when i am having a really bad day they have made me a pretty good daq ;D. Seating is not quite ideal - booths lined against the wall, and then a number of the higher bar type of tables in the middle. If there was any interest in going there - i am sure they would be happy to rearrange the furniture a bit in order to put a couple of tables together etc.

19. asuits

asuits New Member

I'll be there.

20. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

What's the address for my gps so I don't get lost? (coming from Decatur/72)