Jury duty spinoff... (kinda freakin)

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by PT, Jan 7, 2009.

1. PT

PT New Member

So, when you get a summons, and you don't go, what happens?

I got one in the mail some time back and it said that it was my second notice?? Well, I never received the first, so how could that be my second? The last one I received was about 2 or 3 years ago, and it was the one where all I had to do was call in, and my last name wasn't selected.

Well, I misplaced this one and completely forgot about it. I just found it last night and the summons was for 2 weeks ago. :-[ Are the feds going to be knocking down my door? Am I going to jail?? Is there anything I can or should do??

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

I believe that is contempt of court and a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest. You should call the police dept and see or just stop in and see if their is a warrant....because you'll be released on your own recognisance (sp?) for that type of offense and wont risk the embarrassment of being cuffed and stuck in the back of a car. I went through the exact same thing and that was the process.....I think I had to pay a $50 fine too.....but that was 20? years ago.....

3. PT

PT New Member

http://www.cookcountycourt.net/jury/faq-general11.html

By going by this, since I live in Cook County, the worst that could happen is a $100 fine, correct? Does Contemp of Court mean *shudder* jail time, or is Contempt of Court part of the fine??

Man, this sux. I'm never losing anything again!

4. desederada

desederada New Member

They're coming to get you PT :police: :hang: :stickpoke: :slapfight:

5. PT

PT New Member

[​IMG]

I seriously could not handle being cuffed, jailed, what have you. I'd go bezerk, lose my mind, be scarred for life!!!

6. DENNIS

DENNIS New Member

I work in Kankakee county and if you miss and miss again you get a red letter telling you that you had better show up or else. You then meet with the judge and sometimes just get your ass chewed, others get a fine and some go to jail. contempt of court means you have pissed off the judge and yes he can put you in jail.

7. lori

lori New Member

Guess what DW is doing this week... Apparently, they liked him today, he was supposed to go in at 9:15, last time he went in they released him before lunch.

8. PT

PT New Member

OY!

I still don't get how they can tell me that that was my second notice when I never got the first?!?!?!

Gawd I hope Cook County is lenient... :eek:

9. PT

PT New Member

My Daddy-o-dearest called for me!

Well, first the jerk (my popsy dearest) said I have a warrant out and to run... :mad:

Truth is, is that I've already been thrown back into the system (not in a bad way) and I'll just get another notice for a different time. I also found out that if I don't like the location (which I REALLY didn't) I can refuse it and they have to send me a new location! ;D

Thanks again guys! No fear of cuffs for me!!