Kid help

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by photofinish, Oct 20, 2008.

1. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Alright, total "new Mom" question here : My poor daughter is 10 days old and gets the hiccups all the time. I mean to the tune of 3 or more times a day. I feel bad for her...anything I can do???????

2. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

i dunno bout a baby... but I..

drink water upside down..
    spoonfull of mustard/sugar..
    hold my breath..
    someone scares me..

I hate hiccups.. I normally have very violent ones too :(

I hope you find a way to stop them for her :-

3. CBaut

CBaut New Member

I don't know if there's anything you can do.

My daughter use to get them really bad, too. They even sounded painful! My brother in law said it was a good thing, hiccups.... Good for her lungs to get stronger? I don't know.

4. Angien

Angien New Member

Kris
    Is she burping well for you after feeding?
    You can try a little nursery water or a very small pich of sugar on a paci...
    I wish you were closer I wanna see her in person!!!!

5. photofinish

Yeah, AK, I get the violent ones, too. Probably why I feel so bad for her!

They don't seem to bother her much, except they keep her from getting to sleep for a bit. I may try the sugar on the pacifier thing, Angie. She seems to get them sfter she eats, but it doesn't matter if she burps good or not, she just starts hiccuping....

6. Joie

Joie New Member

My son used to get them. He had them in-utero, even! What an odd feeling to have a little person hiccupping inside of you!

I have no advice, other than after he was a couple of weeks old they subsided...I am not sure if it was just his little body was getting more mature or if it was because he found his thumb.

7. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

My son used to have hiccups inside me all the time too!! At first it was kinda funny, but then it got kind of annoying. I would suggest working hard at getting a good burp after feedings.

8. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

Also, rather than just patting her back to burp her, try to add rubbing her back in an upward motion from the middle of her back up....I got some of the best burps out of my babies doing this along with patting.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I have to agree--- make darn sure she gives you a big burp after eatting. My son used to experience the same thing when he was an infant

10. photofinish

Interesting little deal....Was up into the wee hours with Cassidy again last night, she wwas not a happy kid. Happened to be cruising the AOL "babies" area and ran across an article that looked like it was written for her. I did not realize babies could get acid reflux. But the article named frequent coughing when nursing and hiccufrequent hiccupping amongst the other indicative symptoms. She exhibits about 8 out of the 9 signs. I don't know, but we are going to see the Doc tomorrow. I get GERD, it's miserable if it's hereditary I owe her an appology. If that's it, my friend says there are some drops that they can give her that help. I hope so.

11. CBaut

CBaut New Member

Oh man, I had problems like that with my baby. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Is she crying and there's no way you can comfort her? That's what Cora went through and it was horrible.

12. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

She may be sucking too much air into her stomach when she eats -- is she one of those babies that sleeps and sleeps, then wakes up really hungry? Or is she one of those babies with a little too healthy an appetite? If it is acid reflux that can excerbate the problem, and can make any baby fussy.

13. Buffy

Buffy New Member

What's the address for the article you read? My 5 month old is consistently spitting up UBER amounts after he eats. I was told that could be indicative of acid reflux. I'd like to read what you read.

14. NatRat9

NatRat9 Guest

GRIPE WATER! Its an all natural supplement for colic, hiccups, stomach upset. My peditrician reccommended it for my newborn. You can get it at whole foods but Ive also found it at walgreens. It works wonders :)

15. photofinish

I tried to pull the article up again, but the site (and AOL, for that matter) are screwed up tonight...It was on www.parentdish.com in the "babies" section, maybe 2-3 pages back. The article was actually regarding a GERD and asthmma correlation, I didn't get past the GERD part.

Cbaut, when it bugs her (worse evening/night) she'll be asleep, or almost asleep and just arch her back and squall. She'll be inconsolable for a bit. I have noticed elevating her head a bit helps, she has more discomfort when laid flat. Also noticed that she acts a little hungry afterwards, but only takes a few swallows and fusses. Also hates to burp when she's had a spell. If it is acid reflux it all makes sense (I dread a belch when I know it will be friggin' lava, too!).

Jenm, she isn't a starving-acting kid. Sometimes she will eat 2+ oz at a whack, sometimes 1 oz., sometimes she'll eat an oz., take a break, burp, then want 1- 1 1/2 more.At her checkup she gained 2 oz over birth-weight at 8 days. I'm using the Playtex drop-ins bottles that you can squish the air out of...

i am hoping the Dr. can shed some light tomorrow. I'll share wht he says for the others having similar issues.

16. snaffle

snaffle Guest

When my babies got the hiccups..

I would do the 'rub' on their back in an upward direction

and often I would offer them a bottle with only water in it.

17. CBaut

CBaut New Member

Yep, that sounds like Cora. She would do the same exact thing. It always started around 5ish in the evening and she would SCREAM NONSTOP until about 9. It was hell. Pure hell. It lasted about 6 weeks. No matter what we did to try and get her comfortable, it just wouldn't help her. She would finally cry herself to sleep and then burp something up and wake up screaming again. Are you breastfeeding? I did not and Dr switched her formula a couple times and then finally to Nutramigen. That stuff helped a lot. She was like that from about 2 weeks old until about 8 weeks. Good luck and hopefully the Dr can give you something to help her.

P.S. Something that did help quiet her through a screaming spell and holding her upright, against me, and sitting on a big, bouncy exercise ball and lightly bouncing on it. I looked "special" and Frank would laugh at me, but it worked!

18. asuits

asuits New Member

Chelsea used to make this horrible choking noise and then she would look like something on an alien movie or a horror movie. The spit up would fly across the room, I'm talking like spew out of her up to 5 feet across the room. We tried Soy, lactose freee, nutramigen, adding rice to her bottle, letting her sleep in her swing, etc. etc. etc. What finally helped avoid that choking noise and the huge spit up was putting her on Enfamil AR. We would make the bottle and then let it sit for 15 minutes then feed her. We would feed an ounce, burp, feed an ounce, burp, and so on. She was never fussy so acid reflux wasn't an issue with her but the spit up - aack! She spit up until we took her off formula and put her on 2% milk on her first birthday. We give her whole milk and again, the spit up starts.

There is a medicine they can be given for acid reflux - didn't help with Chelsea but it at least helps to coat the esophagus. There's also a test that can be done. You can't feed them for hours and hours before hand and then they give her a bottle of some sort of dye and then do xrays. Alot of time there's a hole somewhere around the esophagus (I don't remember all the details since Chelsea didn't have it) that will close up on its own but it allows the reflux to come up. If it hasn't closed on its own they can go in and close it to stop the reflux problem.

another thing with reflux is if you change her over to Enfamil AR or some other type of heavier formula the reflux will have a harder time coming back up. Those are all things my Dr. suggested for Chelsea.