LUNG FREEZE?????????????????/

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by SIERRA, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Just got a question. I have never lived through something this cold. I used to live in Arkansa, so never seen it this cold. When mom lived in Maine, she said that she didn't put the horses out when it was this cold, and the ones she did she did only for awhile but NEVER put the ones out that would run and play and act like assholes on account of their lungs freezing up, true or false? I know for a fact if I let Diamond Girl out she will buck rear and run she does every morning. I was just thinking about letting them out of their stalls and walking around the barn for a few, just to stretch their legs.
    throw out your opin.

2. April

April New Member

Mine are out 24/7. When it gets cold some times they will run a little to warm up. I have never had one freeze their lungs.

3. desederada

desederada New Member

If AKponygirls horses lungs don't freeze up at -50 degrees are doubt they are going to freeze up in IL ;)

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

BoBo was acting like an idiot yesterday...my lungs (toes, fingers, arms, legs....getting the picture) were all froze up. He on the other hand...... :eek:

5. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

ok, guess I am going to go out and turn the crazy bitch out for awhile

6. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

I was just thinking to myself as well....am going to turn ours out for an hour or 2....way to crazy in their stalls if I don't!

7. JZ

JZ New Member

All our yahoos were raring to get out this morning. They will be comfortable in their sheds, which face south and have straw bedding.

Some take naps in the straw and snore loudly! ;D

8. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

well they are both out, and yes she acted just like I said she would. Reared, bucked, and ran all through the pasture then came back and got Nick and they are standing waaaaaaaay in the back of the pasture by a bush. Guess if they get cold enough they will come in the barn.

9. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Mine came in yesterday afternoon and will stay in today. Not for them, but for me. My farm is set up so that they have to be turned out individually, and sorry but at -12 I am not walking them individually the their paddocks, that is a lung freeze for me!!!

10. BUC

BUC Administrator

Cadence, you act as if it's cold out ???

;D

11. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

mine are still outside, guess I will bring them in at 5 like usual. Nick did have some ice below his eyes, which I picked off at noon.

12. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

LOL nope, no lung freeze up here!!! HOWEVER, the elderly(humans) have to be very careful up here.. if you have fluid in your lungs and are out and about at our -40.. their lungs can actually be damaged.

The air that horses breath in has to go a LOOOOOONG way before it hits their lungs.. it warms before it gets to them. even when it hit -78 in Tok the horses there were just fine.

13. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

My dad would talk about lung freeze in the work horses up in north west MN. He said he can remember when as a kids, him and his cousin had taken the team into town, and someone in town told them not to run the horses home because temps had dropped to -35, and they could freeze the horses lungs, no matter how cold they got. He said it was a big issue with the work horses out actually working, and not really an issue with the horses just playing and hanging around.

14. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

maybe it's the environment or something....

mushers will run their dogs till it hits about -45 or lower.. the iditarod, one year, got to a record -135... the race was still on. they put boots on the dogs when they are running.. covered them with straw and blankets when they slept... but that is it... the folks that work their horses almost year round up here worry more about sweating horses than lung issues.. I don't doubt that they could get lung freeze if they were working real hard in super cold temps... I have never heard of it.