Martha Stewart Horse Stall

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by BUC, Oct 23, 2008.

1. BUC

BUC Administrator

I'm putting in 1 stall in the barn. I really don't plan on using it much. We have a run in and also a huge lean to off the side of the barn for the horses....but I'd like the stall for sick/injured or maybe primping the night before a ride or parade.

The stall will measure 14x16. The first thing I need help with is the floor. Right now there is crushed rock in the whole back barn area. This has to be the base of the stall. I'm thinking a few inches of lime, then mats with shavings? Or open to better ideas?

Also since I'm just having the one stall I'd like to make it as nice as possible with all the amenities. I'll have to wait on automatic water because we won't have water to the barn until we dig a well.

If you could have your "dream stall" what would you include?

2. Jen

Jen New Member

Drop down stall doors
    Elec outlets very near by
    Fan
    martini dispenser

3. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

insulated waterbucket holder

Swing out feed door

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

a stall that will clean itself!! >.<

5. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

ohhh yes at least a 4 plug outlet very close by.

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

Great ideas :) Love the martini dispenser especially :)

There definitely will be electricity! How else would I get Christmas lights in there? :D

7. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

the ones that blink along to the music?

8. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

LOL all I can imagine is one of those big ass automatic cat box cleaners!! LOL it.. just.. might... work....

9. lori

lori New Member

In the front of one stall we have old little river rock (screenings from some closed sand pit) compressed into clayish dirt. Its totally solid w/out being super hard, and its not slick. I don't think we could get the right mixture that created that stuff if we tried.

For the stalls that have mats, they were already lower in the middle. Then I put CA-6 and clay mixture in the middle to make it almost level but still sloped towards the middle, then put 4x6 mats on top of that. Ghetto french drain. Actually I haven't had to peek at how this has worked because it's worked great so far. <--BUC I think all that was based on an idea I got from you to use a post hole digger in the middle, fill hole with pea gravel, etc. Except I used the free materials I had access to. :p

10. BUC

BUC Administrator

I'm actually wondering if adding a top of lime might not have an adverse effect on the draining?

The barn has about 18" of road pack (crushed rock) because we built it up high before we poured concrete. My area in the back we didn't crete. It drains awesome as it is.....

11. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

Buc, I never saw your finished barn project! Where's the pics?

12. BUC

BUC Administrator

I'll snap a couple tomorrow. Were still working on it (inside)....but I suppose we will be for the next 5 years or so.