More Questions About Feeding

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by Refuge Ranch, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Refuge Ranch

Refuge Ranch New Member

Since this seems like such a popular topic right now. . .

What changes do you make in feeding for the winter? Do your horses stay on exactly the same feed? Switch from pasture to hay? Do you add grain, beet pulp? or just feed more hay? How do/should their diets change based on the season changes, need to stay warm in winter, etc.?

Chris

2. Cadence

Cadence New Member

My horses feed doesn't really change unless it gets really cold, and then I feed more hay to keep them busy and warm!! I do warm bran mashes with yummy things like carrots, peppermints and applesauce in them for the holidays!!

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

The only real change I make is to add more grass hay to there ration during very cold weather. Grain stays the same but I will sometimes add a warm mash in the evening if its really nasty outside and damp

4. sandburs

sandburs New Member

Nothing really changes except more hay when it really gets cold, enough that they have hay constantly to help keep warm. The only time the grain changes is if there is a change in their condition that warrants more or less. Some do get a little extra grain in winter if they start dropping a couple pounds, usually the oldies or a really young one here and there.

5. paige

paige New Member

The only thing that changes is that some horses who do not get grained during the summer and fall MAY get it during the winter. It depends on their body condition. Then again, I have broodmares who start eating for their last trimester during the winter as well

They all always have as much hay as they can eat and pee on so that does not change, other than they go through more when it is cold

6. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

MIne stays pretty much the same free choice hay of course it takes more hay in winter and I keep a closer if that is possibel watch on weight and if one starts to drop I add warm soaked beet pulp to each meal... I also will add a bit of salt to each feed if I notice them not drinking as much :2c2

7. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Ditto