Navicular, caudal heel syndrome

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by lori, Oct 14, 2008.

1. lori

lori New Member

OK, we talked about this before but I guess I kind of have a different question or different angle. (Too much time spent snooping around farrier boards.) For my purposes lets define what I'm talking about as "ouchy heel syndrome" to avoid the issues of imprecise terminology. We're talking about a horse who has maybe been x-rayed (but not had a MRI) and who is exhibiting toe-first walking.

So how come some horses are injected (HA) in the navicular bursa, and other horses are treated with pads, bar shoes, barefoot, etc. I have heard about the injections but then in reality most of the navicular horses I have met are nerved or the farrier does something to get them right. Oh, and of course the contribution from the barefoot crowd, which I am not really buying for all horses at this time. And I've not read much online about injecting. Where do the injections fit in relative to pads and bar shoes? Which comes first? Which is for worse problems? Or more likely I guess they are treating different things that make horses sore..?

I have seen some people say poor farrier work (allowing heels to become contracted, keeping a horse in long heel/low toe) can cause navicular syndrome or caudal heel pain. Someone else naturally got pissed about this statement on another board, but... uhm... well, what do you think?

2. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

Not entirely sure what you are asking here, but...

I'd say poor farrier work is a HUGE contributor. I've seen more horses with long toe/low heel than I care to even think about. Actually I would consider it more owner negligence than anything; either because the owner doesn't know good farrier work from bad or the owner regularly allows too much time to go by between visits.

As far as treatment options, that is generally directed by severity, where the pain is pinpointed to, leg/hoof conformation, experience of the farrier and vet, and the owner's finances.

:fluffb

3. asuits

asuits New Member

I personally like to go with the least invasive treatment and work my way up from there. If it can be fixed with shoes and pads or just an angle change then why inject or nerve? Others want the fastest way to be able to ride their horse again. Others still think that it's easier to just nerve them and go from there. I guess what I'm saying is it's a matter of preference on the owner, the farrier, the vet, or a combination of those three together.

I will say a good vet will work with the farrier and a good farrier will work with the vet to work on what the best option is. If you have a vet or a farrier who will not work with the other (and I'm not saying you do Lori as I know you have a farrier and a vet who will work together) then maybe it's time to find a new vet or farrier.