need ideas on how to catch a hard to catch horse

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by jedders, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jedders

jedders New Member

How do you catch a hard to catch horse?

2. kats

kats New Member

Don't chase them, but treat the area like a round pen and make them work their butts off and don't let them stop until you say its ok. When you let them rest hopefully they will stand still for you to approach, if not keep working them. Eventually they will learn its easier to let you catch them.

3. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

How big of area is the horse in?? what have you already tried??

4. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

This does work if the area isn't a great big pasture, plus I never look mine in the eye I always focus on the knees when I approach and use the proper body language. If it is in a big arena have someone help you, divide the space up between you two to keep the horse moving until they figure out it is easier to stand, if it's your horse than you be the one to approach not the helper.

I have taught mine to come when I call when in pasture. Everytime they came they got a trinket of grain. I started first by locating them in the pasture while carrying a bucket of grain, yelled for them, swoosh the grain around a bit and treated them there in the pasture, then walked away after a few times they figured out I had goodies and started coming to me, then I slowly had them follow me to the barn. Now all I do is yell and in they come with the exception they are way out and over the hill and can't hear me. Now even if we are just out checking the fence or messing around in the pasture they follow us all over, so I do keep a few pepperments in my pocket :)
    When I did this I did not halter them or make them do anymore than just come when I called them. And my horses are a tid bit fat ;D

5. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Always seemed like there was 1 or 2 old sows in the broodmare pasture who didn't want you near 'em when you needed them. Best way I found was to go out there ALONE with a bucket of oats. I'd meander through the bunch handing out handfuls of oats to every one, except the one I wanted. Every time that one would come up, I'd turn my back, walk a few steps away, and feed someone else. Seemed to take about 5 minutes maximum, until that old heifer would be glued to me, begging to be caught >:D

6. jjones

jjones New Member

Theres nothing worse than a horse who doesn't want to be caught... Uhhhh... I usually do what people tell you not to do... I chase them till they give in... But thats just me-and I know it's not the "preferred" method... Mine usually always come to me, so I don't have this problem-except my mini-She's way too smart for her own good... She knows that when I'm going to catch her theres either shots/worming/trims in store.....

7. morapt

morapt New Member

No... I wouldn't have guessed it :)

If you like the horse, food. If you don't like the horse, a gun :eek:

8. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

I tried that first, with no success, cause for the life of me I could not hit a moving target and the nightscope was just too expensive. hehehehe j/k ;) ;D

9. jedders

jedders New Member

I've tried grain standing still waiting for him to walk up for a half an hour, chasing,I avoid eye contact...he is in a pen about 2 to 2 1/2 round pens combined...I'm at wits end.

10. lori

lori New Member

Chase until they stand still. Give them an option to come in, if not chase again. Things to help you with the chasing - buggy whip, and... horse abuser secret: dirt clods. Do it whenever you have spare time, not when you actually need them, and never give up and do anything it takes to prevent them from blowing past you.

11. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Instead of standing still w/ the grain, walk past him looking the opposite direction. Several times if need be. Get as close as you can in passing. Your motion will get his attention, you can rattle the grain, too, if you like, but don't stop. Just look the other way and traipse around with your grain. If you stop for a minute, do it right after you've passed him. If he starts towards you, take a few more steps away from him, like he is the last thing in the world you want to see. Make him beg before you give him a look or a snack. I've never had it fail. I hate chasing a horse, won;t anymore. TBs are just too damn fast and have too much stamina (besides, if I could run one of mine down I'd hafta get rid of it quick!)

12. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

I have an Arab that was hard to catch. The BO where I had him boarded told me to try the tin can of rocks he had there. He told me to walk up to him and try to catch him, if he ran shake the can and make him stay running. Then stop, wait for him to stop and try to walk up to him again, if he takes off again, shake the can.

My Arab's curiosity got to him and he wanted to check out the can, so he would walk over when he heard the can, then it became peppermint wrappers, now I can usually just call him.

Some horses respond differently to different ideas, hope you find one that works, because it sucks needing to catch one like that.

13. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

can you make it smaller??

either way make his ass MOVE.... you control it... get a whip and make him change direction move him some more, it may take awhile...

14. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

TEHEHE!! I 'used' to say there wasn't a horse I couldn't catch......'Bob' has lived here for 7 yrs and NO adult can catch him....course, he IS a pony, therefore, my first statement may still be considered true....my fav last resort is to wear them down w/dirtbike....doesn't work for Bob, his sweaty, blowing, lathering self will stay 10' away from you and anyone else in your posse...send my youngest son after him, anytime, anywhere, he stands rock solid, while the weeman fumbles w/the lead rope....pisses me off everytime. Once upon a time, a boarder left the gate unlatched, Bob & his horse buddies set themselves free and I had to get my son out of school to catch that rat bastard.....I can't stand a horse OR a pony you can't catch!!!

15. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Ask Buffy.............. hehehehehhe

16. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

Mine are smart enough to avoid coming when they see a halter or lead rope thrown over my shoulder, if I go out with food or just "bare", they come right up.

17. Limerick

Limerick MIA Moderator

Walk into the pasture, stand close to the horse, break a carrot in half and make a big show out of eating one half. Make loud satisfying chomping noises. Have lead rope handy and toss it over the horse's neck when he/she gets close enough!

18. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

Is he hard to catch for everyone or just for you. We have some horses at the barn that run from the owners but come right up when we call I guess mostly because I am the food giver and not the Rider. I agree with making them move when the run from you make running from you as uncomfortable as possible. Good luck

19. jedders

jedders New Member

he runs from everyone but the owners lately we are thinking his sight is going so we have been bringing him in earlier while the sun is still out and it has worked the last few days hopefully it continues working.

20. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I seem to have the opposite problem.

Take a halter to the dry lot and horses try to put their heads in it.

You might have the right idea... his eye sight really could be going.
    You might try keeping some treats in your pocket when you catch him and give him a couple after the halter is one. Might only take a few times.

Good Luck.