need ideas on how to catch a hard to catch horse

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by jedders, Jan 8, 2009.

1. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

hehehe...we're so mean.

Apples work too ;)

2. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I almost ALWAYS have treats in my pocket .. doens't mean my horses GET them all the time but they come to me regardless even when I amworking them 3 or 4 times a week... but mine also know that running from me pisses me off and makes them work harder!! You have to make the right thing easy and the wrong thing harder!! so IF he is running make his pen smaller and then make his ass work HARD when he doesn't come ... IMO the mindless running of circles doesn't always work .. I do ALOT of direction changes and if they get one lap without a direction change they are luckey ... I also try to not do diection changes in teh same spot ... one lap they get 1/4 lap next one 1/2 next one 1/3 you get the idea

3. sunset003

sunset003 New Member

Put a halter, and lead rope long enough for him to step on. Every time he tries to move he will eventually step on the lead rope. This will teach him to stop. Be available to grab the lead line when he steps on it, and say whoa. After time, and this training he will start to stop whenever you say whoa. Good luck.