Nice ride at Rock Cut State Park - Rockford, IL

Discussion in 'Happy Trails' started by AppyGSP, Oct 21, 2008.

1. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Eirene16 and I had a very nice and scenic ride. It was my first time there, and I was pleasantly surprised with the trails. Of course, it helps to go with someone who knows where the fun trails are too. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I LOVE this time of year it is sooo pretty!!

3. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I've got other pictures too that I can post....most of which are the back of Eirene16 and her mare's ass. LOL

4. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I told you it was worth the trip out.

How long do you think it took you to get there?

It really is a nice place - certainly not a Franklin creek, but a nice alternative.
    I guess I'm getting bored with Matthiessen and this park is a good place to go.

The camping is comparable to Matthiessen, and the ranger is pretty fair/lenient - we've been known to take a ride over to the regular camping area to shower! ;)

5. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Well, we stopped at Subway to get our sammies for later, but I'd say it took maybe 25 minutes from her place so probably 40 minutes from my place if I went straight there. FC takes me almost an hour to get there, but the terrain is awesome! Especially when my horse splashes in the creek and gets other riders wet...ooops! :-[ I bet that water was cold.

I'm ready to go to Rock Cut again so just say the word!!!

6. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I practice trailer loading too. But just as important, I practice tying them TO the trailer, grooming, and saddling them up there. Try to make it so there is nothing new to your mare. She'll be busy looking around at the surroundings and checking out other horses so she might be antsy standing at the trailer while you're working on her.

We are going to Rock Cut again during Halloween weekend and the weather is supposed to be awesome. If you see us, stop by and introduce yourself. Eirene16 will be on her same mare pictured above, and I'll be on one of my "spotmeisters" (as she calls them).

7. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I do miss the fall down there... it doesn't last long enough up here :( is my favorite season ;D

more pics please :)

8. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

My trail riding buddy is the one whose horse has uveitis. She also owns the truck and trailer. It's arena for me for the foreseeable future.

Around and around and around....

I'm dizzy just thinking about it.

9. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I'd be happy to use your arena too and keep you company. ;D I'm serious!

10. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Haven't tied to the trailer but she has tied inher stall and to the arena wall. She'll stand for me to groom here and tack here and leave here there and go "out of sight" (I'm just around the corner) and she's fine.
    I'd already planned to tack her while holding her (something else we've practiced) on that first ride. I knew I wasn't going to try tying her to the trailer at her first off site lotaction and expect her to be comfortable with that.

So... we will keep practicing over winter so by the time we actually get to go somewhere she'll be ready :)

11. lori

lori New Member

Oh, she'll probably surprise you by taking it all in stride. We took our baby boy for his second out last weekend. As it happened we took the 2 other horses away and left him tied to the trailer. He was watchful, but calm when we left. When we came back he was sleeping. :)