Not really a health question but closer to health then anythign else

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by Peggy Sue, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

A friend of mine has two geldings and recently her sister got a mare ... well one of the geldings ATTACKED my friend tonight he is a OLD horse and has never done this before ... any thoughts

Knowing me like most of you do he is on a grain free diet and lush green pasture, the geldings have been together for three weeks now with no problems ... since putting the mare in last night the old man is not letting the others drink from the water trough or near the people at all... he also attacked and stomped her dog that was trying to protect her tonight not sure if the dog is gonna make it or not ... but the dog probably saved her life ... think 16.3 1/2 hand half draft

thoughts ideas ... as of right now she is no longer going in the pen without a whip..

could this be a health problem , we are about 90% sure he has CUshings imaigne me body clipping him last year with little clippers, is on Ration Balancer and pasture only I don't see a "food" issue but open to any and all thoughts on this

2. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

He is out with the mare!~! He is protecting her, she now belongs to him!!

That is my first thought----- actually my only thought. I have had geldings before that turned extremely studdy just by having a mare turned out with them in a pasture.

3. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Besides the obvios which is to remove the mare what can I have this person do to help them?? I know what I would do but ... I cant' see this person doing it ... if it were MY MESS he would get some major ass kicking from ME ...

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

[/quote]

Besides the obvios which is to remove the mare what can I have this person do to help them?? I know what I would do but ... I cant' see this person doing it ... if it were MY MESS he would get some major ass kicking from ME ...
    [/quote]

Afraid I would do the same thing as you're thinking but to be nice------ Move the mare AS FAR away from him as possible! She did ok with the other 2 geldings right, put one of them out with her to keep things even. Hopefully she has a separate pasture! I just don't have another solution for him.
    I hope the poor dog is going to be ok.

5. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Sounds to me that the old man is establishing pecking order and showing who is in charge.

If they choose not to seperate the horses (or have no way to seperate them) then they are just going to have to let them establish pecking order and pray things settle back to normal.

6. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

OK dog made it thur the night swollen face and sore but seems to be ok....

The plan right now is to move the mare into her own pen and leave the two geldings together IF possible, she is tying up to feed and carrying a BIG whip with her in the pen until she establishes herself as alpha :th_fkr

7. paige

paige New Member

Moving the mare will probably help, but who knows if it was that or if he is just finally putting his foot down about something. Clearly he has gotten carried away though.

If he is still acting an ass, I would have a thorough check up done on him, as they can get things wrong you will only see evidence of behvaiorally

8. asuits

asuits New Member

Can she tell if this mare is in season?

9. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

THe mare is older and not showing signs of being in heat but we all know that really doesn't mean alot since my mares never show unless around a stallion....

as soon as she gets the vet bill on the dog paid she is going to have a blood panel ran on him see if anything shows up off there...

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Good luck that is always a tricky situation---- we have 7 on the property with one mare in the mix. She happens to be ancient by the way (Misty, 44-45yrs) She teases the boys something terrible even at that age!!!!

She could and probably would incite a riot if I let her be pastured anywhere near the boys. Her and the mini are all alone.
    Nothing wrong with any of the boys except for normal hormones-----all gelded years ago.

11. snaffle

snaffle Guest

you can buy one of those $100 dog remote training collars at Menards..

remove the transmitter from the collar and attach it to a belt that you have punched holes in where the probes would go through...

strap it to the old guys neck behind his ears.. snug it up

stand back and wait.

when he goes after another horse.. zap him.

I have never had to do the zapping more than 3 times