Puppy vs. adult dog

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by poodlelover, Jan 7, 2009.

1. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Which would you rather adopt? A 12 week old puppy or an adult through rescue in the area of 2 years old?

I'm remembering the housebreaking, chewed shoes, crying all night, etc etc etc.

Opinions????

2. lori

lori New Member

Depends on the breed. There was no way in hell I was getting a heeler younger than 3 years. I'm going to say Kady is 2.5. :p In general, I love the adult dogs. They are so much more thoughtful. They know where they were before and they know where they are now and I swear there is this element of gratefulness to them...

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

Adult!

The little Pomeranian bastard I had....man, did he give me a wake up call on how much fun a puppy can be, it had been so long I had forgotten :-X I have absolutely no desire to ever go through the puppy stage again.

4. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I also say adult.

When I was a stay at home mom, sure fine, bring on the puppy. But now it is totally different. If I had my choice, I'd take the older dog.

5. sadie

sadie New Member

I just got a 6 yr old teeny weenie and it's wonderful to get an adult dog! Nothing has been destroyed and no sleep lost. And she's so little and cute.

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Adult for sure.

At least in the one year and up category.

1) they are less likely to find a home since msot people want a puppy.
    2) less likely to destroy your home/possessions/floors.
    3) sleep. Ahhhh blessed sleep! ;)

ETA: I cnat speel fo sheet.

7. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Adult, fo sho'!!! ;)

8. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I know. But I saw the pics of two black male puppies and went all mushy inside.

Okay. Back to the adult search.

Thanks for getting me back on track. ;)

9. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

If you have younger kids in the house, puppy all the way! Learned that after my son had to have 8 stitches in his face from an adopted two year old lab a million years ago. I think dogs that grow up with kids like them better.

10. Tbitt

Agree 100%!

I know you don't have small children in the house...........but having pups growing up with small children helps make them GREAT with anyone ;) ;D.

Poodlelover, if you have the time for a pup. Get one. There is nothing better then raising your own dog. You are the one creating every habbit it will have (good or bad :eek: :D ) so it will truly be "yours".

Good Luck! And make sure you keep us up to date! :p

11. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

12. Tbitt

Oh My Gawd - stunning!

:-*

13. Buffy

Buffy New Member

OH MY!!!!! ADOREable!!! :-*

14. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

She is VERY cute.
    I also think it's a good idea to try and NOT get a new dog that looks like the old one if you can help it.
    Being a female is one step betterin my opinion.

15. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Damn. Now I'm excited and don't want to wait for the weekend. It's a 3 hour drive. On the weekend (Sunday) I have a friend who could ride along. Tomorrow is kind of out because of weather forecast. But Friday - Friday would work. :-

ETA: Owner emailed that Sunday would be best for her.

Also - her name is Dottie.

I may be turning in to a poodle stalker.

16. Tbitt

Dottie! I love the name.

Good Luck Poods!

17. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

She's cute and standards are so freaking smart.

18. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

At this point in my life, an adult dog. I think I'm done with lil pups.

19. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

I LOVE the black and white poodle!! The last 2 dogs that I owned I got when they were adults...already housebroken and neutered. I swore I'd never get another puppy, but I did just that a year ago during a moment of weakness. I'm a stay-at-home mom with a 9 yr. old and 12 year old....perfect ages to help with a puppy. The first couple of months I truely wondered what I had gotten myself into, but now I am completely smitten. Our next dog will be an adult though.....I think :D Puppies are just so darn cute and playful!!!

20. Shell

Shell New Member

This is the first time I've ever seen a mixed colored Poodle. Looks like a totally different breed.
    I thought they only came in solid apricot, black, or white.

Cute looking girl!