Question about dog urine burning lawn

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by darkhorse, Oct 15, 2008.

1. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

Our female lab's urine burns our lawn badly. The only thing that has worked to neutralize the urine and stop this was a product called Turf Savers Treats, that was made by Hartz. Hartz was sold, and the new company discontinued the product. Anyone have anything they use, that is effective? Any other suggestions for me?

2. CBaut

CBaut New Member

I saw a few different products in Alsip Nursery. I didn't read the labels on them or anything, but noticed they were there when I was getting mutt food.

3. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

There are tons out there, but a lot of them don't work. I want to know if anyone has experience with something that does work. I don't want to spend all kinds of money trying to figure it out.

4. CBaut

CBaut New Member

Hmmm. Well, I know Frank thinks the same way as you, as far as just buying something and it not working.

So, every year, he just reseeds the yellow spots.

5. djangology

djangology New Member

I've had some success with adding apple cider vinegar to the water bowl. It apparently changed the ph of the urine and makes it less burn-y.

Alternatively, train your dog to pee on mulch. Or follow them out there with some water and dump the water where they pee to dilute it.

Or just walk your dog and let it pee in other people's yards. :D

6. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

I asked one of the vets I work with who has 9 female dogs what he does. He said that he just gives them all vitamin C. He said a 50# dog can have a half of a 500mg vitamin C.

7. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

Really? I will have to look into that. Thanks!