Re: When do you vaccinate and for what?

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by snaffle, Nov 3, 2008.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

This year I had the vet administer Rabies vaccs.. first time for us.

Every year I give West Nile, Strangles... Potomac..
    but I do not give them all at the same time. I break them up by at least one week, preferably 2.

My youngsters get EWT, Rhino, and flu as well as the above mentioned.
    I pick up any vacc's from my vet that I can.. and give them myself.

2. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

I have the vet vaccinate in the spring, that way he sees my horses once a year (ha, had, he has been here 3 times in the past month for injuries) and because I need a coggins. Then I am a client and he will send me health papers when I need them thruout the year. I do all the above minus the Potomac and the rabies. I have done rabies once a few years ago when I was going to Mo. for a week long trail ride but have since decided against it. Yes, rabies is fatal if contracted but on the other hand, I look at how likely one is to get stuff and try and not vaccinated against unnecessary things when possible. Heck, I don't even get flu shots and they are offered for free at work!

3. paige

paige New Member

I do them in the spring, when I am getting ready for mares to foal. Except for weaners who get it in the fall, then they get on the plan with everyone else in the spring.

I give only EWT Flu and Rhino (live or killed depending on which horse it is). I quit the WNV finally and don't do rabies. Strangles is given by each farm the mares go to to be bred.

4. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

Spring: F/R, EWT, West Nile, Strangles
    Fall: F/R, Rabies

I used to do my own vaccinations, but the vet we use now has great prices....so I have her do it. None of my boarders give their own, they don't want to take the risk.

5. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I do mine in Spring and they get 5way and Prevenile...

6. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I do mine in Spring do EWT INFLU/RHINO WN Rabies Potomac Then again in fall give INFLU RHINO

7. Daretodream

Daretodream New Member

AAEP core vaccines are
    Tetanus, West Nile, Rabies, Eastern and Western Encephalitis

Flu is a core vaccine for horses who travel or are exposed to different horses but may be skipped if the horse lives on a facility whre there is no horse traffic on or off the premises.

Rhino horses over 5 are generally resistant and do not require vaccination unless pregnant.

Strangles same as Flu. Horses that have had a natural infection will be immune for at least 5 yrs.

There is a nice write up about all of this stuff in the newest issue of John Lyons Perfect Horse magazine. I think since he is going to be in RTTH this year he is improving his magazine as part of that preparation.

8. doc T

doc T New Member

I just have my vet do mine....he is super smart.

9. Jen

Jen New Member

I've always preferred to have a vet do both spring & fall shots, gives an opportunity to get sheaths cleaned, coggins etc. Having a relationship with vets is important to me, it's helped more times than I can count. Well worth the cost of a farm call.

10. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

I have the vet come out and do all mine in the spring. They get what is needed for each individual horse. Then I can get coggins pulled on those that go off the property, and all can get a general health exam.

11. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Ditto.

12. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

;D

So as a vet I have a question for you.

What is your recommendation for WNV

#1 In the Spring only
    #2 In the Fall only
    #3 In the Spring with a booster in the Fall

I have done it all 3 ways before but can agrue with myself over and over at what is the BEST time to vac.

For the most part I break up all my vacs into 2 times a year(some in the spring and the rest in the fall). My theory is that when you give all the vacs at one time, your putting too much in the horse to get the full effect of the vacs, whats your opinion?

Thanks!!!

13. doc T

doc T New Member

In our area, WNV 1 time a year should suffice.

As far as administration protocol, I will give up to 3 different shots at one time, as long as I can do it in different areas i.e. right neck, left neck, gluteal, etc. Problems arise when 2 or more injections are given at the same time in the same spot. That is when stimulation of the immune system can be less than expected.

14. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

which wet nile recommend?? after reasearching last year I went with Prevenile even though it cost me more money

15. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I give everything in the spring and space it out over a few weeks -- the flu shot I hold off on until I know we're about a month out from going someplace (and I do the same with that shot in the fall). I don't give Strangles anymore -- every horse on my place has been vaccinated against it and still got the disease. And I only give rabies every 2 years. I give all my own shots except the rabies (which my vet would give me to shoot them with myself if they could) -- so when the vet comes with the rabies shot I get the Coggins run. I also try to get the spring worming and teeth floating out of the way during that 2 - 3 week period of time, and if I can get the farrier out as well, great. Kill all birds with the minimal amount of stones.

16. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I give everything in the spring, usually late March.

Vet comes out to do coggins, sheaths and vacs.

Usually give a 4 in 1 that includes the WNV---- I leave it up to my vet as to her recommendations----

This year 2 geldings will also get a rabies and strangles since they are going to the trainer.