Rescues BUYING Horses

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by BUC, Oct 20, 2008.

1. BUC

BUC Administrator

This really hits me wrong, wrong, wrong. Horse rescues are the only ones I see doing this crap. What ever happened to a "rescue" in the true sense of the word? You know, abandoned, neglected, abused? Should a real rescue PAY for animals? What's the point? Isn't the same as enabling? I feel the same way with owner surrenders......

2. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Exactly! The owner surrenders piss me off more. People can be so greedy. :mad:

Or how about people donating a horse to a vet school for the tax write-off. I know a family who did that. They were lottery winners ("white trash with money" like Toby's CD title), bought a couple horses, bought 4-wheelers which were also used to chase the horses around as a game, and then didn't feed the horses so they were starving them too. Then they took them to U of WI veterinary school to donate.
    A-HOLES!!!

3. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

I have to think the kill buyers are having a ball with these FOB saviors. I, too, lurk in NeverLand on occassion and they had a big push last week to pull some TBs from Sugarcreek Auction. They "missed" one they wanted, a kill buyer got it, and the guy charged them an extra $500 over the $250 he paid to get the horse. The goofy women paid it to save the horse! No way in hell was the kb going to get $750 for that horse from anybody but them. I've seen this before, too, on the "we need to pull these horses bfore the truck leaves" rallies over there. They give the kbs nice profits while eliminating the expense of the kbs having to ship. So they are giving their enemies huge profits and they act like they think they are hurting them taking the horses.......weird

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

The traders are loving it when they show up at an auciton. They are making more of a profit with horses that simply are not worth the money~~

Here is my question? Once the horse is purchased (saved!) who is going to be paying for its care until adopted?
    How many are the FOBs feeding right now at rescues scattered all over the country?

5. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

D!@3n, I shoulda stayed in the horse biz, gotten me some assorted ponies that were a bit worse for the wear, billed myself as a kill dealer, and ...

6. photofinish

Sadly, that is probably the most surefire path to profit in the whole horse industry right now :-

7. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I also feel the same way about people who buy the $100 foals

8. horsedreamin

horsedreamin New Member

I'm thinking you mean the owner surrenders to the rescue? If that's the case, there are a lot of very legitimate reason for an owner to need to surrender. Divorce, serious illness, loss of employment to name a few.

As for the rest, well. . .

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

I'm talking about the owner surrenders that rescues take where the horse is F'd up and they want to push it off on someone else. Put the damn thing down already.

As far as divorce, serious illness, loss of employment...that doesn't keep a horse "safe" if that's what there looking for. Very, very few rescues keep life long tabs on a horse....and I see no reason they should.

10. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I agree 100% BUC.
    Many rescues do not have the funds for vet care / long term care, nor the knowledge to rehabilitate a horse with an injury.

11. horsedreamin

horsedreamin New Member

I agree. The rescue takes them in, rehomes them, follows them for a specific period of time, and then that's it. At least that gave the owner in the hard situation some peace of mind.

Trying to follow an aminal for the rest of their lives is ridiculous.

12. JenR

And if that's the case, then the owners of horses should learn that rescues really can't/don't offer any more true peace of mind than 1)giving your horse away yourself to someone you think might be a good home; 2)taking your chances and selling the bugger yourself

and isn't it just a beat all that tears it -- rescues going out and BUYING up horses at auction or whatnot, then turning around and peddling those horses as RESCUES. I thought that was what was called a PURCHASE?! In which case you are a horse PURCHASER, not a horse RESCUER -- and if you're dealing in more than a couple of purchases which you plan on "rehoming for a fee" (aka. a price) then I believe the common term for you would be a HORSE TRADER.

Perhaps this is one of those quaint old fashioned terms which has been sentenced to the dustbins of language due to PC.

Be that as it may, I still find it hard to gather where buying a horse from an auction is a "rescue" -- how does anyone know that horse wouldn't be bought by a perfectly legitimate person...a family for instance? Yes, there are kill buyers there, but there are also ordinary folks looking for a horse (perhaps one should, for ethical reasons then, purchase horses from the kill buyers rather than bid against them -- hope those "rescuers" have deep pockets). You could be "rescuing" a horse and taking it away from a nice home that wants it. Heck, some of the kill buyers do sell horses out like that, so you're sort of in league with them by association and habit -- now that's ironic! :D

13. Appyrider

Appyrider New Member

I bet the 'kill' buyers business is not what it used to be considering 'fuel' costs.. Most don't want the hassle anymore. I bet it would be hard to prove you BOUGHT one away from a kill buyer's hands these days....

And I've never seen a horse trader get 'rich' on selling horses... certainly not in this market.. They take the risk (that it is what they thought it was when they bought it), have to feed it, vac it, shoe it, haul it, pay commission/consignment fees if going to another auction... and have their money tied up in that animal all the while... not much profit there... And yes, I am sure every once in a while they hit a home run with a diamond in the rough.. but, I bet those are far and few in between...

Hell, go to the better breeders and ask if they're getting their stud fees that they've paid for back on the price of their babies these days..

14. JenR

See that's the other irony; people get into it thinking there's money to be had "and with a little work" Rescue Dobbin will be the next National Vevet!

Yeah right.

15. photofinish

Hmm, I may be guilty on this surrender part. I gave alot of horses to MI CANTER over the years I rn up there. Most were client horses, but when the butthead owner stuck me w/ 22 head and disappeared I gave several of them to CANTER...They hauled a load a week out from the track there,they fostered them and adopted them out. I never saw anything wrong with giving them the horses. They stated that taking the exrunners was their mission...They did get a couple from us who needed chips out or something, but they had a deal w/ the University to get it done cheap or free. Most of what I gave them was sound and adopted out quickly, often for $700-$1200...They are considered a TB Rescue, "rescuing" the horses who can't run any more (or never could!)....I was glad to have them, really hate not having that kind of resource out here!

16. Jamik

Jamik New Member

"Rescues"(I am using that term VERY lightly here) that buy horses are nothing but glorified horse traders playing on the sympathies of people who don't have enough experience to figure it out. Most of them are REALLY good at talking people out of their money. Makes me want to puke. One in particular "adopts" out the horses for "half" of what they would be sold for to a typical buyer. One horse in particular that comes to mind was a crippled x halter world champion with major lameness and health problems... $3K. No shit.

17. pinp

pinp New Member

eh... I try to reserve judgment case by case. I still consider it rescuing if the horse is truly a rescue case. I don't mean horses that may need a little bit of TLC [slightly ribby and/or needs a trim or two] and handling but are otherwise just dandy.. or horses who are fat and sassy. I try not to hold it against a rescue who will pick up a horse or two at auction who actually need rescuing... even if it is just to euthanize the poor animal.

Of course, I expect the rescue to be up front about where the horse came from and ask for a reasonable adoption fee.

18. Castaway Farm

Castaway Farm New Member

Okay, in defense of a rescue (mine and many like me), I have bought several horses from owners who were at the end of the line and if the horses were not bought by me or some other person, the horses were a) going to be shipped to slaughter (when those were open) or b) set loose to fend for themselves.

One horse, a 27 year old registered Arab mare, I actually drove to northern Minnesota (25 miles from Canada, Northern) through a blizzard with a bulky stock trailer in a blizzard, paid $100 and brought her home. Did that $100 make that big of a difference to the owner, no she would have easily gotten that from a kill buyer, but the $100 plus gas made all the difference in the world to miss Gamedah Knight, who to my knowledge is still doing parades and 4H to this day. She would be about 31. We rescued her 4 years about this Saturday. Yes on Valentines day my husband and I spent the day driving through a blizzard on a crazy mission. Gammy was a savior to the little girl she eventually went to and to my own daughter who got her confidence back after a BAD fall from another horse with Gammy the babysitter horse. I would do it again, and whether you agree or not, it was a rescue of both the horse and a couple of little girls who desparately needed her. I made no money on her, but true rescues don't actually expect to make money on their rescues. If there is money above and beyond the original out lay of funds that money goes to the vet bills piled up by another poor soul in need.

Two ponies, the first we ever rescued, we paid $600 for total, a mother and daughter 7 and 5 years old. They lived staked out in front of a trailer park, no shelter, no food except what they could reach from their ropes and Saturday night entertainment for the drunken guests of the owners. These two had no place to go with winter coming so they were going to be set free in a wood lot to fend for themselves. These were our first pony/horses 9 years ago and to this day I still have ownership of them, they are on free lease to some wonderful little girls who needed just the right ponies and my girls are taking care of them.

Another horse was so screwed up by his inexperienced owners he only knew one speed, full out gallop and to shake his head as soon as a rider got on. He learned quickly that he could get his rider off and be free to be a natural horse. We paid $500 for him or he was going to Shippshewana. He is the most talented eventer/jumper horse I have ever known. He would jump the moon for my daughter. Unfortunately, she has gotten alittle long in the body for him and he will soon be available for free lease also.

Two other horses and a goat were "purchased" by me from a young girl who had taken them in from someone who did not properly care for them. This young girl had posted with no luck or takers for quite a while and was out of money and options. I paid a minimal $200 for them, over wintered them, wormed them, put weight on them and some training and in the end gave them to barn owners who could work with them more and make them marketable. Did I make any money on these horses, no, they were living in a situation with no shelter to speak of and were still extremely thin. Yes, again, I paid money for them, but in paying hte money a piddling $200, I was able to take them from a poor situation, make them healthy and place them with people with resources to rehome them properly.

There are others, all about the same kind of situation. I have never "made" money off of any of these horses. I have given money for them, I have also taken in free animals, owner surrenders. In the eyes of all who have posted against it, maybe I did purchase these horses, but they were true rescues and the small amount of money given to put the animals in a better place was worth it to me, the children whose lives have been enriched by them, and MOST importantly the horses themselves.

I have never been to an auction, it would be difficult to see a horse in a bad situation and not purchase it away from a kill buyer. But the rescues I have worked with know the kill buyers they are up against as they are often at the same auctions. The $50, $100, $200 paid for a bag of bones that deserves to be fairly treated is a small price to pay.

I know rescues that purchase dogs from brokers who purchase from puppy mills. Again, the $25.00 paid to keep that life that has already been created out of the misery that it would endure is worth it. To both the animal and the eventual forever home it goes to.

If all rescues don't follow the horse for its lifetime that is their policy. The horse rescues I have dealt with and would continue to deal with require yearly paperwork showing vaccination history and vet visits. They may do this for the life of the horse or for 5 years. Statistics show that most "new horse owners" give up within 5 years, so a 5 year time limit is a reasonable period.

There is no money to be made in horses, dogs, cats, or rescue thereof. To say that someone expects to make money off of any of the above is basically like selling flesh, since I am not into prostitution, I rest my :th_2cents:

19. lori

lori New Member

I think we got a letter and flyers advertising a rescue horse (from a 501c3 rescue) who had "phenomenal bloodlines" (uhm, no, it doesn't count when they are that far back) to a performance home for $2000. You could buy him at auction for no more than $500, I'm sure.

No, we will not be advertising or facilitating that sale/"adoption" in any way.

20. JenR

Jami -- oh yes, I remember THAT horse ::) <-- and a few others as well :D

I'm mixed on the owner surrenders, as I know of people who were wanting to find placement for horses they couldn't keep any more for whatever reason -- it would be nice if there was some sort of resource and referral network for folks like that through the rescues (sort of what CANTER does with the trainer listings).