Salonpas pain patches

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by lori, Jun 4, 2012.

1. lori

lori New Member

http://www.salonpas.us/

I put one of these on this morning and I am a little bit in love. It's like capsaicin creams, etc... they cause the chemicals that cause pain to trickle out (I feel a tingle) and then your body can't communicate "pain" to you from whatever's causing the actual pain.

I had a good thing going w/MSM/glucosamine/chondriton plus prescription mobic/meloxicam. My doctor said I'm too young to take Mobic every day and to quit it. I shot daggers out of my eyes at her.

So I am on MSM/glucosamine/chondriton and the salonpas patch. It was like $4 for 40 small patches and you leave them on 1 hr but not longer than 8 hrs... It's been like an hour for me and it's still tingling and feeling better.

2. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I'm going to pick some up and try them on my elbow.

3. Powdernsmoke

Powdernsmoke New Member

Hm, maybe I will have to try those on my knee.

4. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

I have bad chronic pain and take prescriptions for it. This would be nice to try so maybe I could take less meds.

5. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Yay for pain relief! Just remember not to overdue just because you can't feel the pain anymore, whatever is causing the pain is still there.

6. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

These patches work pretty good. I wonder if it will work on the pinky finger I smashed last night. :)

7. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Just bought some. Will be applying to my back after a shower. Hope it works!

8. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

Can you stick these on people who are a pain to deal with?

9. Mass

10. lori

lori New Member

How is everyone doing with these? I still think they are the bees knees.. however....

The instructions say, don't use with a heat pad. They are plastic and you sweat underneath them and also the point of them is to get rid of the pain so you won't feel if you are burning yourself. Makes perfect sense and I absorbed this info and did not use with a heat pad.

However... I did not translate this knowledge to my truck's heated seats.... I am in love w/heated seats and I'm always cold, so I often have the a/c running for other people then use the heated seats to keep me warm, plus help my back.

Uhm, duh. So I have a little burn/rash on my lower back (aka, butt!) from the patches. It's healing and it itches. FML. I backed off from using them some but hope to return, they are still the best relief!

11. Limerick

Limerick MIA Moderator

Lori got this burn while driving what, 16-17 hours? to pick up Dara... :eek:

12. Powdernsmoke

Powdernsmoke New Member

OUCH Lori!! Where do you get yours?

13. lori

lori New Member

Yeah I wasn't going to share that genius part of it. :D But they worked for the drive!

Also when monizzle said "don't overdo it" I scoffed... then suffered the next day. But they are that effective and sometimes you just gotta do... like putting up hay or what have you. Actually I needed them for when I was teaching kids this summer enrichment program... lots of crouching down and if I hurt I am crabby which is not so great with 5-7th graders.

I get them at Wal-Mart... they are really cheap for how well they work, $3.24 for 40:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Salonpas-Topical-Analgesic-Pain-Relieving-Patches-40ct/16935760
    I was using 1 a day... they seem to help for 4-6 hours.

I don't think you need the bigger one, from what I understand they would work the same as capsaicin for horses or people... run out the pain receptors in the area so you don't feel the pain.

14. Mass

They help some, but this pain is stronger than they are.

15. Powdernsmoke

Powdernsmoke New Member

I will now vouch for these too. I don't feel anything working, no tingling no nothing. But all of a sudden I realized that I wasn't limping, and I could bend my knee all the way. The directions say not to leave it on for more than 7-8 hours at the most, so I put one on at bedtime and took it off when Martins alarm went off at 5. For the first time in years my knee didn't hurt when I got up. I was able to go down the stairs like a normal person, not one stair at a time. My knee worked right for hours, I am just now thinking of putting one back on. However I have stuff to do outside, and they do not withstand sweat! Found that out when we were doing hay last night.

16. susiebk

susiebk New Member

I use them on my lower back after a tough night at work turning the morbidly obese patients that seem to populate the ICU these days.