Silly mare!!

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by Brilliance, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Ok so I have this new mare:

8 yo OTTB (long off)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have only had her for a short time. She eats the heck out of the hay I feed her but has little to no interest in the feed I am giving her. When she does eat it is very very slow. She is getting the same feed as previous and her "other mother" says that this is nothing new. I would like to see a little more cover on her before we get too deep into winter.

Current diet:
    1 scoop Kent Dynasty AM & PM
    1/2 scoop Moorglow AM & PM (new to this horse)
    2-3 flakes Grass/alf Hay AM & PM eats 90%
    All day and night are pastured, except for the 4 hours a day she is in to eat.

Things that aren't going to change:
    Brand of feed and adding another feeding

I was thinking adding some oil . . . .what are your thoughts? I was also giving her NuImage supplement, but with that she wouldn't eat anything at all. This isn't a crisis, I just want to buff her up a little bit.

2. paige

paige New Member

Well there is sure nothing wrong with eating slowly--that is great. Unless she is where other horses take her food.

I add soy oil to Grandpas food, and it singlehandedly does more for him than the alfalfa pellets, beet pulp and the senior he eats. And I swear it can take him four hours to finish a meal. Good.

The only thinkg wrong with soy oil is that is has doubled in price this year

3. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Thanks paige!

I will check at my coop to see what the cost is on soy oil.

I know eating slow is better for them. Tell that to the other mare who is done in 5 mins.

4. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

BEET PULP is great for adding weight and i have yet to run across a horse that does not like it wet... oils honestly dont' do alot since they are not easy to digest ...

5. lori

lori New Member

Can you cite some evidence for this statement?

6. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Give me some time to find it again

7. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

ack I can't find it again so it must have been a bad source!!!! LOL so ignore that first post

8. lori

lori New Member

Here's my supplementing with oil experiment. I used the $13/gal "Energy" product readily available at Farm & Fleet and Rural King at the ambitious rate of 2 oz 2x/day. I think they say 6+ oz/day for weight gain, but I didn't want her to gain much, just cover her ribs. Other feeding choices did not change.

Aug 8, 07
    [​IMG]

Sept 4, 07
    [​IMG]

Sometime after that I stopped the oil because I was happy with where she was at, and it was just intended as a boost up.

Dec 29, 07
    [​IMG]

Regardless, she porked up very prettily for winter.

9. Kahli

Kahli New Member

Wow, what a difference in such a short time. She looks great.

10. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

Have you had this mare checked for ulcers?

11. StarryNight924

StarryNight924 New Member

Ada LOVES warm beet pulp (plain). And I do know Heather mixed in some of the grain with that...I honestly don't remember how much of a difference that made, but she eats the beet pulp right up.

And Kristy, "the other other mother," had her on a 1/4 c. of corn oil with each feeding. That seemed to help a bit too. She has always, at least for as long as I've known her, been a picky eater.

I say play with it and see what she eats. Maybe drop the grain to 1/2 a scoop, add in some beet pulp, and add another flake of hay in with each feeding? The ulcer thing is something that I've pondered with her for a long time. Maybe it's something to check to be on the safe side. Let me know how it goes!

12. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Well apparently all I had to do was post here . . . .been eating like a hog for the past two days! Hopefully it will keep up. I ~think~ she has a little more cover on her too now.

13. flygyrl

flygyrl New Member

Brilliance....I *think* Ada was also on Buckeye Ultimate Finish a year or two ago when she was needing to gain some weight. If my memory is correct, it put a good "cover" on her without making her crazy.

I had to use the UF on my mare when she was about 200lbs underweight. She began gaining immediately and I believe put all the weight back on within 2-3 months. She was getting 1c a day, top dress. We cut her down to 1/2 c over the winter for maintenance, then took her off completely in the spring and haven't had to use it since.

BTW, my mare is also a long-off OTTB!

14. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

LOVE love love Buckeye Ultimate Finish!

15. StarryNight924

StarryNight924 New Member

Sorry, I completely forgot about the Ultimate Finish with her. Though I really don't remember how she liked it. I was more focused on my skinny boy, who is now a tank. But depending on if you can get a hold of it or not, that's another good one.

16. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

As soon as this bag of Moorglow is gone I am going to try the Ultimate Finish

17. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Envision by Progressive
    Omagetin by Kent

aer basically the same products so if they won't eat one you might try a different brand ...

18. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Hmmm I will check those out too! I really do like the kent brand and I have a regular supply. To me it seems like she just isnt interested or as interested in eating her "grain" as most horses I have delt with. I am not to worried about it as she is gaining weight right now, just slowly.

19. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

I'm going to say adding oil is one of the easiest ways to help with weight gain. If not, why do some of the current feeds have so many fats in them? Regardless, years and years of success with corn, veggie, rice bran, and flax oil must be silly.

If you recently moved her and she was stressed, that's probably why she gave up eating.

When I first got Stella, a horse who can not eat hay but complete feed only, she refused to eat. At all. She didn't eat for maybe 3 or 4 days...she'd have a few bites, but not enough to satisfy her caloric intake. After she settled in, she became a chow hound.

20. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Mine did not want to eat the Ultimate Finish or Envision either ... I had to lock her up and leave her there or should would pick out her Ration balancer and leave the fat supplement ... thankfullly since getting her teeth fixed by a dentist instead of a vet she is not needing it so far....