Skunky dogs????

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Janielle, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Janielle

Janielle New Member

What is the best shampoo to get the skunk stink out of a dog????

2. BeSoSirtain

BeSoSirtain New Member

I purchased a product a few years ago called "Skunk Off" from my vet. It worked the best for me at that time.

3. djangology

djangology New Member

1 quart hydrogen peroxide (3%)
    1/4 c baking soda
    1/4 c dish soap.

Wet the dog, mix those ingredients together, and apply. Avoid the eyes. Allow to sit. Rinse well.

4. asuits

asuits New Member

5. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

Doesn't work real well. We sell this at the clinic I work at, and even with my discount it was a waste of my money. Just masked the smell til he got wet again.

This mixture works the best, but you have to use both the peroxide and baking soda. Beware it will bleach the coat on your dog, but does beat the skunk smell.

My Akita has a thing for "playing" with the black and white "kitties". Three skunks in the last 2 weeks, and one of them was cause for more than one bath, because my dad hit it in the field and he kept going back to roll in it. :pu_ke

6. Janielle

Janielle New Member

Thanks I will give it a try.

7. BeSoSirtain

BeSoSirtain New Member

I'm surprised the Skunk Off didn't work for you. That is not the result I got from that product. That was the only product that worked for me after trying several. It was definately worth the money to me. I can see the baking soda mix working well also. Baking soda alone takes care of a lot of things.

8. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Skunk off....GAG. I'd prefer the smell of the skunk!!! To me, the skunk off smelled like just a mask...and then for MONTHS after they'd get wet, I'd smell that icky smell radiating from their hair.

I smear tomatoe paste and baking soda in their hair to deaden the smell. I won't use Skunk Off again, though...if you like the perfumy smell it has, it might work better than it did for me...

BUT...ever smell a really stinky bathroom after someone unloaded their guts? Then you spray a flowery spray in their and it ruins the smell of that spray for you any other time you smell it after that? Well, that's what happened with me with the skunk off.