Sole becoming hard and sound

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by MyTeDun, Oct 12, 2008.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

My new guy (Ransom) came in several months ago with very soft soles unbeknown to me. Well after just a few days he was so lame I had no idea what had happened to him.

Had my farrier out to check him over and give a routine trim while he was here---- found his soles to be paper thin and severely bruised. Ended up putting shoes, wedged pads and using that purple gooooo under the pads.

I can't believe the change in this horse!! After only 3 weeks he threw one of the shoes and lo and behold farrier was on vacation-- I have kept an easy boot on him during the day when out on pasture to protect that sole.
    Farrier was here this morning to get everyone done and we found Ransom not even needing a new pair of shoes!!! yeaaaahahahah- his soles have thickened and toughened up protecting him form any new bruising.

Can't figure this out--- My ground is hard but I guess the sand he was living on prevented his soles from hardening up.

One less horse wearing shoes= smaller farrier bill

2. heypony

heypony New Member

Try Keratex Hoof Hardner on your horse. Works really well. You just need to pick the feet and brush them clean before you use it.

3. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

This stuff works great. I have used it on a couple of horses that had really soft hooves and shoes wouldn't stay on 2 weeks, to them staying on one horse for 8 weeks, and the other hasn't needed shoes in over 10 years.

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thank you guys! I"ll get some this week. I hate having to shoe a horse just for having soft soles

5. RickB.

RickB. New Member

You might want to check out Durasole (www.durasole.com) It is quite effective and much less expensive than Keratex or Crossapol.

6. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

gee thanks Rick, I"ll check it out!

I want this guy sound with out the need for shoes~ His feet are getting better but still have a ways to go before I can ride him out

7. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

I like Keratex, too. But I have had equally good results with plain old pure spirits of Gum Turpentine, available MUCH cheaper at your local hardware store. Just pour a little in a cleaned out cat food or tuna can, clean the hoof real well, and use a small paint brush to paint the sole. Definately keep it off of the hairline. I use it 2-3 times a week on the thin soled ones and after about 3-4 weeks we are good!

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I started him on Keratex this past weekend.
    I'll let everyone know how things go when he is trimmed next
    Thank you for all the good advice~

9. desederada

desederada New Member

I like this stuff too