Synthetic western saddle

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by glf01, Oct 19, 2008.

1. glf01

glf01 New Member

Synthetic western saddles does anyone ride in one? Are they any good and what should I look for in finding one?

2. mrlugar

mrlugar New Member

I have one and I love it! It is very comfortable and is super light weight. It has a velvety feel to the synthetic material, so it holds you in place.

Unfortunately, I don't have a brand name on it. I bought it on Ebay (the seller is in Elgin, IL). I haven't seen one on their Ebay store like it since.

3. desederada

desederada New Member

I would rather have a leather one anyday but if price is your main consideration there are some decent synthetics. I personally just hate the synthetic fenders.

4. I have one. It's a cordura by Bighorn.
    Bought it in 1993 from Farm & Fleet in Woodstock. Paid $350 brand new and have been offered that much for it recently.
    I love it. Only 17 lbs, and so far I haven't had a horse it didn't fit.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

When we had our arab we had a problem finding a saddle to properly fit his withers.

I checked into as many as I could, and it was the Big Horn Cordura saddle that fit him the best.

I love that saddle..I got so spoiled on the light weightedness and the comfort factor.

6. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Yeah-they are awfully puffy. Doesn't give you much of an option if you want close contact.

Snaffle's saddle is really comfy-it's like sitting on a squishy couch. But even so, not much feel.

7. pinp

pinp New Member

I love my Abetta. No problems with it at all. I personally like the squishy seat and it has a better 'butt' grip to it vs my King Condura... it's just sad that my ass grew.

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Hubby and I both have Wintex synthethic western saddles.
    I love the light weight of them--- Comfortable for the horse too!

9. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Uh-oh...looks like poor Dr.Weisguy maybe should've run better Saturday! th_bolt

Try to ride in one first, I hated the synthetics I tried, english and western

10. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Used to have an abetta. Hated it. Sold it in the 4H tack sale.

11. desederada

desederada New Member

I just don't like the way that the synthetic fender wraps around your shins and I would change the plastic stirrups to something else for sure.

12. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

I ride a big horn synthetic. if you're going to buy a synthetic my opinion is that big horns are the only "quality" ones out there. I have another one for my students. I paid 500 for mine (not the economy style) and the other one was 650 new (endurance style).

I love my big horn.

13. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

I have one made by SaddleKing. It has been a very durable saddle.
    I agree the fenders hurt my knees but BUC twisted the inside straps in away that there was less resistance on my knee :) It is actually nice looking (well, I think so anyway) brown with a Navajo design and suede seat 16". Came with matching breast collar(no longer have it) and blanket. I paid around $500 for the set about 8 yrears ago or so.

BTW as soon as I get it cleaned up it will be for sale. :)

14. BUC

BUC Administrator

The biggest thing you need to look at in a synthetic saddle is the tree. I personally don't like them, but if your going to buy one and you ass is over a size 12 you need to look into quality. The cheaper ones use cheap trees. When you sit in them they (smoosh?) and can gouge your horse in the kidneys and other areas they shouldn't.

When your looking, take the saddle, put it on the floor and put a knee with your weight in it and check out the smoosh factor.

15. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Can you show me how to check this >.< never heard it called that but I have NEVER found one that will hold a bigger built person ... they all have it

16. Ekwyne

Ekwyne Guest

Big Horn good saddle ;D
    Wintec good saddle ;D
    King ok saddle :)
    Weaver ok :)
    Abetta wont have one :(
    no name synthetics... seen more poor ones than good ones... some of the synthetics on ebay are just things shaped like saddles

this all based on western styles