Tack cleaning time

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by horsefreak, Jan 6, 2009.

1. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

OK I'm sitting here cleaning my husbands saddle, it's fully tooled (which I hate) western saddle. These older saddles like his need major conditioning, we get caught in the rain a lot and they either mold or get dried out. What conditioners does everyone like to use? I have to order some today, I'm about out of the stuff I have and it's not really working that great.

2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Let me know when your order comes in. I'll bring my saddles right over. :-*

3. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Ah you bring the singles too I have the dice..lol

I really grease his up so it can soak in until the weather is 60 degrees and him and his horse come out of retirement. Might do a little extra oil and he will slip off and I can collect his life insurance...oh bad me.

4. Tbitt

Oh, Ya! I can bring the singles - I can trade them with the Pop machine........ :D Plenty there!

Um...........I don't think you are supposed to tell others your plan - otherwise the insurance doesn't pay............ ;) ;)

5. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Oh shit I gave it away...oh I guess I will just clean his saddle nice then.

I still have to order something to clean it with though! I used to use Leather Therapy and liked it, but I was kinda wondering how Leather CPR is...hum.

6. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I have some Aussie stuff that is like a wax and puts a nice shine on it, but don't use it on the stirrups. This stuff also creates a waterproof seal so it is good to use since we get caught in the rain.

7. Shadow

Shadow New Member

!st. clean with saddle soap..buff when dry to remove dryed lather
    2nd. I use Lexol conditioner..wipe it in, several coats if very dry...buff between coats.
    3rd. apply Black Rock..this stuff is AWSOME!! if not too bad one coat will do..BUT the more coats the richer the look..will be tacky between coats..LET DRY COMPLETELY between coats..BUFF...I usually do at least 2 coats ..I LOVE the feel of the leather and the deep rich sheen it gives.
    REMEMBER: it take very liittle Black Rock..use a small piece of cloth on finger and work it in..WELL WORTH THE EFFORT.
    I got mine started today also...don't forget the headstall, breat collars, etc.

8. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Ok this I have all of this stuff and it aint doing it for me. I used the black rock on it last year and it seams like a shine not a conditioner. It's on it's second coat of Lexol conditioner now... but I'm just not getting the feel I'm looking for. Mind you this ia a Joe Vega roper, maybe 15-20 years old and he freaking loves it and it fits his very hard to fit fat ass horse.

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

I'm an oil freak. I bring my saddle in about mid winter and put a piece of plastic on the floor and put the saddle on a saddle rack. Oil, oil, oil pretty much all winter. I even flip it upside down and oil. Then when I'm done I black rock and set for another year. My saddle is old and butter soft.

Here's a tip for the oil freaks....you can buy 10 weight oil in 5 gallon buckets (about the price of 1 gallon of neatsfoot) it works as good as neatfoot and is actually less greasy. An old tack maker told me about this and I've been using it for probably 15 years now. All the new tack I have made comes light natural and then I dip to finish it off and it looks fantastic....I've been selling it for years and not one complaint.

10. desederada

desederada New Member

Isn't Blackrock more for boots and bags with exotic leather?

11. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

We use Hydrophane oil, and Bienenwachs (orange container)leather conditioner....the only 2 products that go any where near my saddles, bridles, and halters. If we have a saddle that is in need of help we oil, condition, then repeat the process again!

12. Tbitt

You guys are all making me feel guilty. we have not cleaned and oiled our saddles for about a year and a half........... :-[

I guess it is clean'en tme! ;D

13. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

We used to have winter tack cleaning parties, though as you know we look for any excuse to party. Now it's just me and this old saddle drinking hot tea alone.... :'(

14. Tbitt

Well - let us know when you are getting on to the next ones...........

We can have tea together! 8)

15. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Not to dish BUC in any way...but I was told that neetsfoot oil will disolve the stitching used in saddles and such..besides oil attracts dirt..like a magnet...Now I was told this by a Gal who does shoe, saddle, boot repair for a living.. she has several yrs of experience...not to use neetsfoot oil. clean, lexol conditioner, Black Rock.. I have used this formula for yrs with NO DISSAPPOINTMENTS... JMHO BUC..don't shoot flames at me, I was just offering up another opioion.. ;D

16. BUC

BUC Administrator

LMAO, no I won't shoot flames at you....oil (neatsfoot or otherwise) does attract dust. I'd have to disagree on the dissolving stitches is all just because my saddle is older than dirt and I oil the shit out of it so often and have for years.

Back to dust....yes, definitely. But it's also butter soft and the dust wipes off, also finishing it off with black rock puts a nice seal on it. I'd never recommend this on a show type saddle or anything but she said the saddle was an old one like mine and that works. I'm kind of assuming that since she said rain and mold that she's looking for deep conditioning....which can really only be achieved when a saddle is used and abused, by oil.

17. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Horseman's One Step. Best stuff, ever. Brought saddles back from the depths of dry hell with that stuff. Kept leather halters alive past their life expectancy. Never had to put more than 2 solid applications of it on to revive seemingly dead tack. Neatsfoot oil for a quickie job if the leather isn't too dry.

18. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I use the Leather CPR on our work saddles but I"m still trying to figure out what to use on my show saddle. Its a lighter color pecan, not blonde

Right now I just have it bagged to keep it clean and dry. Sitting in guest bedroom on stand. Should I be conditioning it?