Tattoos? who has one and what~

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by MyTeDun, Oct 13, 2008.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I have two of them, well actually 4 but the one on my ankle has been a work in progress for the past 3 years.

I started out with a tiny hummingbird in memory of my late husband, well it was lonely so I added the flower the year later then lo and behold I added a second hummingbird. I love it--- to me its a piece of art. Everyone teases me that it is eventually going to cover my entire ankle or go up my leg.

The other one is a spirit (fetish) bear on my left shoulderblade.

The ankle is in gorgeous colors and the bear is plain black.

I am addicted and will probably add to my ankle next March when I go visit my son in SanDiego

2. jedders

jedders New Member

my hubby has 1 my daughters name and he's adding foot prints then he'll get our son's name and hand prints

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

both of my sons have them but I love the one my oldest got when his son was born

It is the babys footprints, name and date--- must have hurt getting it because it is on his side into the ribcage. OUCH

4. Kahli

Kahli New Member

Celtic clover on my right ankle. Hurt alot, but I love it. I still want another but haven't found the right one (or two) yet.

5. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

I have 4 and soon to have more and more and more

6. 4horses

4horses New Member

I have two. Both are roses. I have a picture of a horse that is decked out with feathers that I want done but with all the detail that is in it the artist said it would have to be big. Don't know where I want to put it yet or if I want something that big.

7. snaffle

snaffle Guest

don't have any...

dont want any...

I have never seen any tatoos on a woman..
    that actually were artistic.

I have seen some pretty ugly ones. Just dont understand why anyone would want to spend the time and the money.. on something permanent..
    that is u g l y

8. Joie

Joie New Member

I've seen some beautiful tatoos. Lovely, artistic, make-me-jealous tatoos...I really want to get a large tatoo on my back, but it would have to be an original drawing done by my husband or myself and something that would always be beautiful. Even when I get fat and saggy and old.

I've seen ugly, straight out of some book, hideous tatoos, too. I don't see the point in something that 4,000 other people have, but that's just me. I pierced my nose in 1991 when I was 17 and there were VERY few people who had piercings. It was cool for about 2 years and then everyone and their uncle had one. I took mine out and only recently have considered putting it in again because I don't really care what anyone else does with their own body.

9. burgie

burgie New Member

Have one- got it in New Orleans (siser live there - wasn't done in a drunken stooper).
    Would like to get a second: Horse shoe with a paw print in the center. I was thinking one of the white line ones...

10. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Only tattoo I will get at this point in my life is the one that you wet to put on and scrub to take off.....I am too chicken to let someone come at me with a needle and paint.

But I do love to see other peoples beautiful artistic tattoos and I do enjoy hearing the meanings behind the tattoos they choose.

11. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I adore the one I have on my ankle---I designed it and I get alot of compliments on it.
    My 76 yr old mother even approves of it~~

Tats are an individual thing and you better love it because there is no backing out once you get it.

Mine is extremely special to me-- reminds me of a love lost

12. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

I don't have any and never will.

The one I think is unoriginal is the "tramp stamp"

13. jedders

jedders New Member

I don't like a tattoo unless it has a meaning behind it of some sort I would like one for my hslf brother thst psssed that 5 others have but I am too chicken.

14. Limerick

Limerick MIA Moderator

I have a full back, half sleeve on my right arm, and 3 others. I want full sleeves on both arms eventually!

15. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

wow Lim thats alot of work and sitting still! What do they look like and where do you go?

16. Limerick

Limerick MIA Moderator

Yeah, about 35ish hours total at my last guess! I go to a place in Chicago. If you watch L.A. Ink, you may be familiar with the artist on there named Hannah. Her "Chicago boss" is my artist.

My back is inspired by New Orleans--ironwork with flowers and vines. My half sleeve is an old forest in black and gray, and I have a Sailor Jerry-style tribute to Chicago on one leg, a tribute to my old cats on the other leg, and my first tattoo is on my hip--a rose in black and gray.

I normally go and get some work done a couple times a year but so far I've just had some touching up done on my back once this year, over the spring. It is expensive and not for the uber-broke! LOL :D

17. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

They sound remarkable Lim! Lots of time involved and $$$ Hope we meet up someday---I would love to see them

I love tats but there are alot of people that think a woman with tats is .......... (whats the word I'm looking for). There have been several remarks on the snide side just here-

What have you ever encountered when people have seen them? anything negative? How do you respond?

I believe to each his own and who gives a damn if others don't like it >.<

18. Limerick

Limerick MIA Moderator

In the city, I was more "invisible" with the tatts. Out here in the burbs, I get more attention but the most negativity I've come across is a 'look at that!' slack-jawed stare. I will say, though, that I don't wear backless shirts anymore unless I want the back fully displayed (you can see plenty of it with a lot of other casual shirts). I also make sure everything is covered up at work so some clothing modifications are necessary but they are not a problem--it is all second nature by now.

People do come up to my husband and I to tell us how much they like our ink, or to ask where we got it. That happened a LOT in Kentucky, surprisingly. Some of the local folks were like, "You're not from around here, are you? All the tattoo shops here suck!" :D

As for some thinking that women should not have tattoos--well, that's an old-fashioned way of thinking. Some still think tatts on women = circus tattooed lady. I think that is slowly but surely changing, however.

Also some people say tattoos are a trend. Yet tattoos may be older than clothing in some circles! Tattoos themselves aren't a trend--they're here to stay. BUT, like clothing, there are certain styles that go in and out (and some, like Japanese or Sailor Jerry, are here to stay--just like grandma's Chanel purse!). For that reason I suggest thinking long and hard before you get something done. Educate yourself on what is out there, and what artists can do which style (and who does it WELL).

Ironically, tattoos have made me more comfortable in my skin. If they do the same for you, then don't have any regrets!

19. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Don't have one, but want one.

I've had it picked out for a year now, but don't know where to go around here that won't screw it up. Everyone that I know that has them, has gotten them done somewhere other than around here.

As soon as I find anyone who can suggest a REPUTABLE, clean place, I will have it done. I've been carrying it around in my wallet for a year. :- Not afraid of the pain, just want it to look classy, not drawn on.

20. Limerick

Limerick MIA Moderator

Where do you live?