There's Redneck and then there's Redneck

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by AmyB, Oct 13, 2008.

1. AmyB

AmyB New Member

We all do the redneck joking, why not, there's alot of good things about it...venison, the acceptability of walking around in carharts or filthy, smelling of livestock. I live for that stuff. Then there is the bad side of redneck, the kind that makes you embarrassed when you get lumped into the redneck group. My neighbor is one of them.

I really don't know what to make of the sign my redneck neighbor has up the road.

It's right on route 47, south of Burlington road. It's a big sign, at least 4X6.

What is on the sign? It is a painted picture of Obama, he has a red nose and a silhouette of bozo the clown hair around his head. The sign says No Brozos. I didn't get it till hubby explained the "Broz" part. Since I know of the neighbor it does not surprise me. Politics are full of offensive stuff, and this is one of them.

What we've witnessed, especially during this weekend since he improved his sign and changed the angle of it, were numerous cars stopping, people getting out and taking pictures and yes, even two squad cars stopping-they must of gotten a call.

While I feel the man has the right to put such a sign in his junkyard ridden property, I sure find it an embarrassment. Thankfully, he's about a half mile away and not right next to me.

2. lori

lori New Member

I too am a little disturbed at the way I've seen Obama attacked. I guess I like to pretend we're a little better as a society than what I've seen, but it's easy to pretend that's the case when you're middle class and white.

While travelling, I saw a pickup truck with shoe-polish writing on the back glass that said Obama and his supporters like n-word, lesbians and homos, and baby-killers and something else that made it clear the driver was not at all a fan of those groups, I forget--something about my blood pressure going sky high made it hard to read and remember. I guess I was just stunned at how derogatory it was to people. First of all, it's horribly offensive in a few ways, that's so obvious I won't even address how that made me mad. Secondly, that's the grounds you use to select your president..? And then publically brag about it and try to convert people on the basis of that kind of bias? It's kind of scary.

It just makes me want to go out and campaign for Obama.

3. AmyB

AmyB New Member

I have seen people campaigning for him and supporting him just because of his color too. I do believe that is just as wrong. Only in a perfect world would we not have idiots voting due to race or gender, regardless of which way.

Sadly, any idiot can vote but then any idiot should be allowed to vote because let's face it, there are alot of educated, supposedly civilized idiots out there too.

In a perfect world, we would all vote for someone based on their job qualifications to run the country but there are so many different views on how our government should work. At least we do have the freedom to vote for who we want and don't have to worry about being prosecuted for it like in some countries.

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

We are one country, a country in trouble right now and the entire population is split in two.

It is reminiscent of the time before the civil war--- the two sides are attacking each other, threatening and spending entirely too much time criticizing the other side. Why can't we be mature and keep things civil.

Using slanderous words is immature and unnecessary

Rednecks are everywhere, the ones that scare me are the ones that advertise like the one Amy has posted about.

Why try to make people fear a candidate? Because he is different? But why spread lies?

Only 20 some days left and all the arguments will be over, Thank god. No matter who wins this country is in the shitter---someone has to either flush it or drag its ass out.

5. JenMR

JenMR Guest

Somehow I can't get as worked up over depictions of Obama as "Bozo" as I can over tee shirts calling Palin a #unt and overheated liberals stating that Trig is a)really her daughter's kid, b)an abomination (often in the same breathe as "and he should have been aborted"). In fact, I'm getting a bit fed up with the MSM that chooses to get all kerfuffled over "angry Republican mobs", but state troopers and judges in Missouri using their position to threaten anyone who "lies" about Obama, or people who publicly criticize or tell pollsters they won't vote for the man and then get visits from the Secret Service for "hate talk" isn't an issue and doesn't get into the news cycle (which is why we're only hearing about how hateful rednecks pick on poor, racially judged Barry.

6. lori

lori New Member

I don't know...this isn't really about how the media is interpreting things for the masses, as AmyB and I both repeated things we saw first hand, both happened to be anti-Obama. I haven't seen any of the Palin garbage first hand, but that would offend me too. I am excited that she is running because she is a woman and a mother regardless of anything else about her I could agree with/disagree with.

7. JenMR

JenMR Guest

Just stating my opinion -- the Bozo thing is in poor taste, but it isn't unique to any particular group (hey, how many have gotten offended with the Bush/Chimp stuff? is Obama somehow "hands off"? So that doesn't concern me as much as media response to things.

And here's some of the stuff I was talking about (warning! extreme content and very bad language!)

http://politicalpartypoop.com/?attachment_id=10683

*disclaimer: political content, I don't endorse or not endorse (stayin' neutral on the judgement), just some examples that it cuts both ways

8. Jumpybordercollie

Jumpybordercollie New Member

JenMR -- The sign says BROzo. As in bro. O0

I saw this on my way home from Hampshire a few weeks ago. What a friggin psycho! It's racist, but just tame enough so they can't do anything about it. You'd think people wouldn't vote b/c of race but then again..nothing surprises me.

They don't own that hot dog stand next to them do they?

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Not that I endorse the sign in any way, but what is the line between sexist and racist?

10. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Jumpy -- yes, I know it said "Brozo", just a way to play on "Bozo" with an added twist. Nor does this mean I approve of such things, but I am aware that the nastiness cuts both ways (during the primaries, shirts that said "Bros before Ho's" were a very popular item among some Obama supporters -- gee, I think I know who the "Bro" was, wonder who the "Ho" was though?). Thing is I don't find "Bro" any more offensive than calling a woman a "Ho" or a "See You Next Tuesday"; if you don't want to be offensive (and one shouldn't, because it is a very low thing) don't say either, and if offensiveness is going to be the modus operandi...well equal opportunity I say! If rampant, nasty misogyny is an ok thing, then don't scream bloody murder when nasty racism comes up -- or suffer the label of "hypocrite".

And none of this is very important to me, other than a seeming lack of caring for what one group does as opposed to overwhelming concern vis a vis the other group. And to the point of "Truth Squads" in Missouri and calling out the Secret Service on people for "untruths"? That's Stalin; that's Hitler; that's not something I want to see in America -- and neither should you.