This Old House

Discussion in 'Project Blog' started by BUC, Oct 22, 2008.

1. BUC

BUC Administrator

So....I've been redoing my kitchen now for like....ummmm....a year (ok, not QUITE a year)? Anyway, I'd really like to have it "done" (except for the counter top) by next weekend. I thought maybe I'd start a diary of sorts to track my progress....and maybe a little motivation. Like if you see me on here mindlessly posting you can remind me to get off my ass and get in the kitchen?!?  :D

This is before....kinda.....I had started on the upper cabinets a wee bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what I have done so far....I did just drag the compressor and all the supplies in, it's not normally quite that cluttered  ::)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I'm heading now....to get to work on the windows. Wish me luck and motivation!!!

[​IMG]

2. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Sweet! Great job! i am tackling our kitchen this winter, and the upstairs bath, and finish all the paining projects from last winter . . .and and and anddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

3. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

WOW! I really liked the light green you had in there, but I really really like the color of the cabinets now!

What are you doing with the window trim, staining or painting? Can't wait to see :)

4. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Buc,

Talk to me about your cabinets? Are they new?

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Very nice job so far BUC!
    Keep motivated and posting picts!

What are you thinking of for the new counter top material?

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

Ok, I've got 10 minutes...just put a coat of stripper on...LOL.

It'll be stained, but with color in it. The goal of everything in the house is to take the 14 coats of pain off that people have aimlessly dripped and drizzled and color stain everything....but I'm trying to make everything look old.

Cabinets are 80 years old. I did just sand and paint them. It's an old house....I'm trying not to put anything "new" into it or make it look new.

BF did a tear out on a science lab. I have solid wood butcher block I'll be refinishing and installing, but not for a while. I'll snap a pic of the bathroom counter top I did for reference of what it will look like some day :- I am putting in a new sink....but the rest of the crap will be old and used, just refinished.

This is something I'm really proud of. It was last winters project. It's an early 1800's chamber pot closet. It's one of those deals that on Antique Road show would be worth $75,000 but since it's been redone it's worth $1.75 :D :D :D But that's ok because it looks like what I want now and it aint going no where. The damn thing weighs over 400 pounds! I wish I would have gotten before pictures :mad: It has color but is all stained.

[​IMG]

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I really like the color you painted the cabinets-- they stand out.

Are you going to change out the countertops? What are you going to do?

I tried to strip the multiple layers of paint off my window trim---- ended up tearing it off and putting up new. The layers never ended! I give you alot of credit for bringing it back

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Everything in this house has 7-14 coats of paint on it :mad: I redone the bathroom last year, it took 9 months......I had to walk away many times. But I love the way it turned out. Same deal...all the wood has color but is stained.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ah, and now the crown moulding is even up.....

[​IMG]

This is what the kitchen counter will look like someday....this is the one I redid in the bathroom.

[​IMG]

After the kitchen is done the upstairs bathroom will be next. Can't wait. I'm going to have to have help on that one because walls are coming down and some other major shit ;D

9. desederada

desederada New Member

That cabinet is uber cool.

10. DENNIS

DENNIS New Member

damn buc your b/f should be hiring you out. you do great work

11. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

I'ma gonna hire her to do my kitchen!

12. Kellysdream

Kellysdream New Member

She is doing mine first! :-*

13. Jamik

Jamik New Member

You are so creative Buc! I'm jealous. I'm about as creative as a post.

14. BUC

BUC Administrator

Oh, it's getting ready to get gaudy as hell in there. See the blank cabinets next to the chickens? There's another pair on the other side of the kitchen too. I painted a bunch of slats white and those are going to be double dutch barn doors :D No one will want this place when I'm through >:D

15. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

It looks good--- you've kept the old house character.
    Lots of work but well worth it in the long run.

We gutted our kitchen and started from scratch but modernized it. New cabinets but unfinished ones which we customized, natural stone backsplash and granite countertops
    looks good but lost the farm house look~

16. snaffle

snaffle Guest

hey girlfraaaand!! you do beautiful work!!

I love that pot chamber.. and I love those cabinets in the barrfroom!!

tell me about the chickens on those kitchen cabinet doors.
    how'd ya do them?

Do you realize how much those breyer bulls are worth!!!

17. BUC

BUC Administrator

YAY! This post is still here! Well, part of it at least......

I just started ripping the kitchen apart again for phase 126 of the kitchen remodel so I'll bore you guys shortly with new pics and progress ;D

18. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I am looking forward to your new project and the pictures.

Your kitchen certainly looked much better after it has the BUC factor added.

I recently saw the most awesome cabinet door knobs !!

It was at jimbobs house.. the cabinet door knobs are small white electric fence insulators!!

Major Awesome !!!

For door pull types.. they put two insulators on... one at each original bolt hole.

another Major Awesome!!

19. BUC

BUC Administrator

Can you believe I still don't have the damn kitchen done? I do have a lot more done since these pics...but can't go any further until I can open the windows back up.

This thread just popped back up into my head (probably because I was gawking at the kitchen thinking how bad I needed to finish it :-[) and decided to move it here.....maybe it'll motivate me in a couple of months......

20. asuits

asuits New Member

So what do you use to strip the cabinets?