Those of you with old farmhouses

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Oct 20, 2008.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

What trim looks the best in an old farmhouse around windows and doorways (on the inside)?

1 x 4's

or

1 x 6's

2. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

do you have the bigger than normal doorways??

I have bigger room entryways and door ways and I think ours is 1x6 but I will have to check unless you can tell from these pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pardon the paint job . . .work in progress

3. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

"standard" farm house moldings are 1X4 and flat.
    If you have very large rooms and / or extra tall ceilings you might be able to get away with either 1X4 detailed trim or even a 1X6 flat or detailed.
    It also depends on the era of your house if you should use flat or detailed.

4. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

My 1920's farm house has flat 1x7 floor trims with narrow quarter round trim at the ceiling (some rooms are plaster walled and only have the floor boards. I have 9 foot ceilings. My door trims are 1x4, 1x5, and 1x6. But the man who trimmed it out had his own sawmill and just cut what he wanted.....some of my trim measures 1x6.5 or 1x5.5....depending on the room.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Snaffle I think most of the trim in our old houses is a combo of trim but measuring a total of over 6"----

Most of mine seems to be several pieces of trim but ending up nice and wide.

I tried to post a picture but I can't get the darn thing to load

6. NutsEmom

NutsEmom New Member

Ours is 1 x 4, that's both the doorways and around the pocket doors.