Trimming the draft horse....

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by HALL FARMS, Oct 15, 2008.

1. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Is there a difference in trimming a draft horses hoofs versus trimming a light horses hoofs.....other than size?

2. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

There would be no reason for it to be different. Correct trimming is correct.

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I do believe the only difference is one is the size of a teacup the other the size of a dinner plate.

Would much rather work on the teacup myself! Just picking those hoofs is a challenge~

The people I know that own drafts haul to Arthur to have them done correct.

4. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

This is my first draft horse and she is due to get a trim this week. I just wanted to make sure I was not overlooking anything in regards to her hoof care.

5. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Bill Watson specailizes in Drafts

6. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Curious----- What is the approx. cost to trim a draft?

7. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

not sure, would have to look on my price list from Bill, but i think it was 60.00 for a trim, when I go out to feed I will look ( if I remember ). ???

8. desederada

desederada New Member

Just want to add that the drafts have very deep clefts in their feet so they are prone to harboring thrush if you don't pay special attention and keep them cleaned out and trimmed.

9. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

I pay $50 for my draft trims.

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thats not a bad price. Hell a regular trim these days is around $40 for a standard sized horse.

hummmmmm have to run this past hubby! I love the big guys~

11. RickB.

RickB. New Member

Because of their weight, Drafts are prone to a lot of flaring of the hoof wall so it is imperative that this condition be correctly addressed every/any time the horse is trimmed. Other than that, the trimming protocols are much the same.

12. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I pay $40 for a trim on my draft cross. She got her hooves from the Clydesdale side - they're BIG.

You do need to keep the picked out. She has had thrush once last spring when it was very wet out.

13. petsitter23

petsitter23 New Member

Anyone know a farrier that works with darfts in N IL, S WI ? NO shoes...just trims?

14. Rexy78

Rexy78 New Member

Bill Watson- W.W. horseshoeing, 708-323-9122. We love the guy.

15. MARE RUN

MARE RUN New Member

My farm also uses Bill Watson. He knows his craft! Great with our young ones, seniors and those in between. We find him to be fair and honest. Never loses his temper with a baby or nervous horse.
    Also safety minded of horse and handler. Lucky if you can get him. Known to service Kane, kendall, Dupage, Dekalb counties. He does like those draft babies. 708-323 9122
    Any other questions...please ask.