Ventral Midline Dermatitis ...??

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by Shadow, May 8, 2009.

1. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Ok, anyone delt with this type of thing? My gelding has sores, crusty, itchy, scaly lesions ... caused by parasite worm larvae possibly caused by biting horn flies...the Vet book suggests washing with warm soapy water, avermectin dewormer ( Eqvalan, Zimecterin, Quest,etc.)
    along with corticosteroid- antibiotic ointment for several days than followed by regular fly spray to deter biting flys...
    We have delt with this for several summers and it just gets worse as the days warm up...then he is obcessed with rubbing his tail ( it also has crusty sores in and under the tail...he is in heaven when I scratch / comb his tail....
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what do you do to make it go away.............
    THANKS

2. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

Did you have a skin scaping done? Just want to make sure that is specifically what you are dealing with before commenting.

3. Shadow

Shadow New Member

no, have not seen the Vet yet..I am just going by what I have researched and read in the Horsemans Vet Book...the pix and discriptions look exactly like what my gelding has..I tried to call Vet this morning but he was out on an emergency call.. I left message but he has not returned the call yet..( no life threatening I guess ) ::)

4. 56hooves

56hooves Senior Member

According to the latest Horse Journal it is called Sweet Itch and is caused by a sensitivity to insect bites- usually the Culicoides midge. There are about 5 thing listed that help and it says that campho-Phenique products repel the insects. If you don't have acces to the Horse Journal I gave elaborate more. Sabella Rush

5. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Do tell...THANKS ;D

6. onmy87

Sorry, guys, but unless you are way down south and have been into a true spring/biting insect season for a few weeks now, it's too early for a case of dermatitis caused by bugs to be this bad yet.

This is sounding more like a REALLY bad case of rain rot/mud rot, etc. Considering that it's this advanced, I would certainly recommend getting a vet involved. Treatment will probably consist of iodine baths along with anti-fungal ointment and possibly some antibiotics.

For mild cases, I find that plain liquid liniment works REALLY well.

7. Shadow

Shadow New Member

??? confused...there are a fair number of flys here..and they LOVE the underside of his belly..it is ONLY on his belly..and from what I have read / seen, pix in the Vet book it looks exactly like what I have here...flys seem to LOVE his underside..the other horses don't seem to have a problem...I picked up some iodine solution yesterday and am going to start washing him goodas soon as it warms today..and apply an antibiotic ointment..I hit him with the Quest dewomer ( as direct in Vet hand book) hopefully I can get this taken care of...he is miserable..very itchy!!

8. onmy87

Ah, I didn't realize they were ONLY on the underside...

I think I'd still have a vet out if the case is this advanced.

9. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Ya, Vet check scheduled for later this week...