Vinyl Strip doors

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by HorseFarm, Oct 19, 2008.

1. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

I have two openings 10'X10' going into the run in side 16.5'X105' of my barn that we have been going back and forth on what kind of doors to put up there for the winter to help block more of the wind for our comfort when out there doing chores.

I have been looking at the different vinyl strip doors as an option, and would like input from others that have them, or have considered them. How much of an overlap? How wide of strips? Which ones seem to hold up better or don't hold up at all?

2. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Ohhh I would be very interested in hearing this too! :apl Good question!

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

I have no experience with using these in barns, but I did put several up at my old work place going in between warehouses. I used the ones that are put in meat coolers. They helped tremendously. Some of our warehouses were heated while others were not. The heated ones stayed warm. It also knocked down the wind big time. I believe the strips I used were 16" with a 4" overlap.

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Would they also keep flies out of the barn?
    Something to think about once the barn is airtight, that is~

5. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

I was looking at the 12" X .120" thickness, with a 4" overlap. That is what I have found on a couple of web sights stating that would work for windy conditions, and does help reduce the flies that come in on the horses. I also found them from like $525 - $1300 a door opening. I was just hoping someone had some experience with them before investing that kind of money into them.

6. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

I have a plastic strip door across the opening of my washrack. It is the same brand that has a chestnut horse sticking his head & neck thru it in the ad in the mags (I think it's Agtech but I'm not sure). It has held up well (been installed for 7 yrs), it keeps the washrack warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It doesn't stop all the flies but does keep the numbers to single digits in the washrack. A friend of mine has this 'door' installed in her barn aisle and loves it too. She thought she would save money and buy the same 'mil' I have, she had to take it down and spend the extra money for the heavier mil strips that are meant for a door that would have a breeze. The strips do 'shrink' in the winter, so keep this in mind when you are trimming the bottom. I LOVE this stuff, I will absolutely use them in my next barn.