What make of truck?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by MyTeDun, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I drive a Ford F250 Power Stroke Diesel 4X4 Lariet --extended cab (not the crewcab) Wish it was!

Its a 2001 with 237,000 miles but hauls like there is no tomorrow. I haul a 3h bp, a 30ft fifth wheel RV and an 18' bp flatbed--- never a problem

Hubby is a diesel mechanic and swears by this engine so of course that is what we've got----

I love it, great truck with decent fuel mileage.

What are your thoughts?
    What do you drive?
    Why?

2. My everyday use truck is a 99 Dodge Ram with a 6 in it. She gets pretty good gas mileage.

My hauling truck is a 90 F-250 deisel 4x4 with an International in it. 5 speed with a jake brake. Duel tanks so I can get some miles down the road.
    The ford isn't pretty, but hauls my 4 horse slant gn with a full load like it isn't even there. Been to Savanna Ga, Fla, Conn, and Oklahoma without any problems at all.

Both trucks are regular cab. Wish I had an extended.
    I bought each of these trucks from friends for really great prices. Thats why I drive them.

3. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

We just got a 2006 one ton Dodge Cummins dually, 4x4, quad cab because DH just wore out his 2005 3/4 ton cummins...he does a lot of heavy hauling.

However, that also means I no longer have my 03 half ton GMC, which I dearly loved. It pulled my 3 horse GN without any problems.

I like dodge and how it pulls, but dang, that interior kills my back. Those seats are designed for bigger, taller people I guess.

4. paige

paige New Member

We have a 2005 Dodge 3500 extended cab, diesel dually. We drive it because when the transmission fell out of our 1999 Dodge in Oklahoma, we had to buy something or never get home--we had a load of horses with us. We would not have bought another Dodge had it been up to us, but it was all that was available.

It is fine because we normally do not drive it that much. At least we did not until BS' work cut back on work vehicles and took his Chevy truck away from him. Now he drives it a lot and it is costing me an arm and a leg

5. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

2007 toyota tundra.. long bed extended cab.. we have only hauled a light camper with it so far and it did perfectly fine.. it gets about 18 mpg so far and I do alot of city driving..

I love it!! I refuse to buy Dodge because we have had 3 lemons in a row.. I also refuse to buy a Ford because they have started to use low quality parts in their autos and because the dealer up here is a complete moron and loves nothing more than swindling you out of your money.... Chevy is ok.. but still putting in subpar parts and they just don't last as long as they used to... I bought a Toyota Tundra because I used to build them in Indiana and know how well put together they are.... it may not pull as much as the f250's but I will only haul one or two horses...

6. paige

paige New Member

I sure wish that toyota would make a really big truck---I would not begrudge the money for that in a heartbeat. We always have Toyota cars, I have a Highlander now.

7. lori

lori New Member

The thing we use the most for hauling to horse shows is a 95 F350 ext. cab. It's getting uglier and uglier but it is a horse show machine, complete with hook for the tractor to hook to to pull it and the trailer out of mud. We won't buy new so the new 7.3s are out of the question (i.e. price range), and BF was not at all happy with the engine they replaced the 7.3L with for awhile.

He is now talking Dodge... one of the most important thing these days is mpg and Dodge has always been the leader there. It will be odd to switch, he is like MacGuyver with the truck we have now, when things go wrong on it or anyone else's similiar year truck, he can like wave his fingers over the engine compartment and fix it.

8. paige

paige New Member

We get 8 mpg hauling our new trailer with our dodge, Lori. Makes me want to hang myself

9. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

they are going to make a diesel soonish. I believe they have a contract with a diesel engine manufacture.. I don't remember who tho... I still have family that work at the IN plant.. as soon as they start making plans to build it.. I will be buying one!!

They are going to be building the Highlander in IN soon :) They moved all the Tundra's to Texas now.

10. Buffy

Buffy New Member

04 F350 4x4 Powerstroke diesel. It's a crew cab, short bed. Needed something I could fit the car seat in!
    Just got it though! Haven't had a chance to haul anything yet. :-

LOVE it!!!

11. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Lori-Let us figure this 06 out for a bit-the one ton cummins-without the trailer it's getting close to 20. DH and I aren't speaking or I'd ask him what it got pulling the stock trailer. It doesn't have the gooseneck ball yet, though, so I can't tell you what it will get with the 3 horse.

12. DENNIS

DENNIS New Member

I have an 04 dodge ram hemi extended cab long bed and get about 11 around town and 18 or so on the road. I pull a two horse bp featherlite and it is like you have nothing there. my wife has an 04 nissian titian extended cab which is well matched to the ram.

13. April

April New Member

You mean they make some thing OTHER then a FORD :eek: :eek: :eek:

14. paige

paige New Member

Ours is a one ton Cummins as well, and we have a chip in it and have never gotten anywhere near 20 in it ever. 17 once we put the chip in, though. And that is figuring it manually--you cannot trust that stupid thing that tells you the mileage--it is off by three or four miles every single time.

With the three horse steel trailer, we got 11 at the best and as low as 9 once

15. Kellysdream

Kellysdream New Member

I just got a 2004 1500 Quad cab Dodge Ram so far I love it but I haven't pulled anything yet.

It's telling me I'm getting 13 mpg. I haven't checked it myself to see if it's accurate.

Why I got it because I liked it and it had low mileage! ;D

16. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

2005 Chevy 1/2-ton extended-cab short-bed, regular fuel. I tow a steel 2h BP with front DR. I get 12 mpg when towing, and 15 mpg otherwise...so not too terrible.

17. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

07 Chevy 1500, crew cab, 4 wheel drive, forget the Z number, you can tell I am in to trucks! Pulls my trailer just fine (2 horse) and gets better gas milage than the 2500.